Free Roundels

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Believe Roundels and frames are a standardized size no matter the brand, and if you reverse the frames around they will also hold a gel color.

11 of each Clear, Red, Green, Blue. Major is the brand c. 1925. Sorry there was and might still be over a hundred more available, but I only had so much vehicle space & grabbed up the clear/frosted reflectors especially as more rare for me in seeing. Probably won't be back to the theater for a few months. Also have some MFL green Roundels without frames.

To a good home.

Photo of me cutting up the 40' strip lights with a Skil Worm drive saw / metal cutting blade I'm working on posting. Over the years I have spent hours re-wiring and preserved a dozen or more strips including re-porcelain enameling reflectors. Cutting some up for trash was almost zen. The Worm Drive cut thru them like butter... was enjoyable even if a shame. Amazingly almost half the fixture weight was in the lenses.

Attachments

• 20200302_211110.jpg
    20200302_211110.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 86
Yes and never not ask or be sorry to ask about something - only stupid question is the one not asked.
PM me in yes! I would love to clear up a drawer space, but while free roundels... shipping or pickup would have to be coordinated.

How many do you want beyond the above? I can check with the old theater in believing we saved at least half of them initially. They might be in a storage building in me linking you up with them.

Perhaps, since lenses are heavy... take the gel frames first and do a show with gel in them in similar saturation.... I can specify gel colors for the lenses in similar.
Do a show or two with just the gel and reversed frames. If they burn thru... fine, especially with the red. If they don't, you will have saved money in having to ship the lenses.

Long term you would save money in having the roundells, but long term you are probably going LED so... Just an idea to take off line.

Funny or not thing about many strip lights. They are usually well balanced on a counterweight system and often not moved. It is normally asbestos in them, if not feeding them. But beyond that locking mechenism or not in this theater's case, the hand lines were un-used hemp and broke when moved! Meaning there was nothing I do each time I pulled the rope hand line to slowly lower the strips and it broke. Lights were coming down to a normally 4-6' height above the floor on their own. Not funny, but a known thing that would happen short of putting people in the area of the lights and block & fall control rigging of them.
In the cases of the lights when I took them down, the grid was as scary as the rope given bad lighting, holes & soft areas. Other places don't even have grids to rig from in getting to. One recent place had just dual planks of 2x6 lumber between rigging beams. Nothing bolted, just planks.

Perhaps, since lenses are heavy... take the gel frames first and do a show with gel in them in similar saturation.... I can specify gel colors for the lenses in similar.
Do a show or two with just the gel and reversed frames. If they burn thru... fine, especially with the red. If they don't, you will have saved money in having to ship the lenses.
This may be the best advice in the whole thread. Colloquially known as a "R40 combo frame,"
allegedly still available new even though the fixtures were discontinued a while ago,
when used with plastic color media ("gel") allows for so much more than the RGB plus maybe amber plus maybe clear rondel s. Perhaps trading off between flexibility and longevity.

Very cool they are still available and your link. Thanks. I can remember way back when fighting the gel frames to clean and noting gel frames were reversible. I don't much miss working with them.

Great advice ship! I appreciate it. I’ll send you a PM when I have a free minute. By chance do you know how much a single glass would weigh with frame? Maybe I can figure out a cheap method of shipping (I can times the amount by weight by count of glass that way and should just be the standard dimensions with the frame. Have to watch the asbestos, some nasty stuff! I love the old lighting but led is great, so I may have some good uses for these!

I’ve seen some crazy stuff too, the worst thing I’ve seen was a rigging / fly system block mounted to a piece of duct work. The ductwork was held up by metal straps with small metal tapping screws. Actually the hardware on the block cut a groove in the duct. Wouldn’t want to be standing under that one!!

Stay safe!

I will put a lens and frame into my bag to weigh Monday. Very interesting rigging story related.... Wow! Understood in fellow travelers and why the cautions.
Took time to remember where those non-locking riggings were from. I could still still see the carriages in my mind. Later today, Ah' yes the 1911 theater I worked at like 25 years ago when I was still in my 20's. In my 20's I also re-wired my first cyc lights... I didn't know any better, so I replaced the asbestos with sold THHN as best I could in all kinds of ways I would never today. Learning curve took years.
PM awaiting as with address info. Would love to find a happy home them.
I also have a few fully restored to factory spec. or better Fresnels and Leko's for free to a good home if interested.

Weight with gel frame = 0.5 each.
Weight of the Roundell = 0.5 each.
Weight of (an individual gel frame) = less than a pound.

Not terrible in shipping... most likely in the range of 25# for the lot.

Business stuff to PM, I will have done so before but thought the weight of the lenses important for discussion. TBA PM.

Roundells still packaged up to ship, but never went thru in shipping. Anyone else intersted?
I'd take them if I could get my hands on a good old-school 12-light par strip 3 or 4 cct. But w/o the strip light what can a roundel fit?

If worse comes to worse, Sent them to Northport High School c/o Stage Lighting director, Powdered Wigs society. 154 Laurel Hill Rd, Northport, NY 11768.
I'll Zelle or Paypal you the shipping costs. We did Brigadoon back in the day and during an orchestra rehersal for the school concert a drummer stole 6 roundels from a set of 6 strip light laid out on the floor, borrowed from one of the Jr. High schools for the cyc, and I narc'd him out. He confronted me in a parking lot some 2 months later and we duked it out. I won. A week later he apologized. I can't stand thieves, but worse to steal from a theatrical concern that's always on the razors edge of every school budget.

Thanks, but unless you have strip lights that would make them useful, I will keep them in abox ready to ship, or eventurally return ack to the drawer designed for the storage of them. This lens collection is really useful but only if you have the fixtures first, which might come with their own lenses.

Thanks, but unless you have strip lights that would make them useful, I will keep them in abox ready to ship, or eventurally return ack to the drawer designed for the storage of them. This lens collection is really useful but only if you have the fixtures first, which might come with their own lenses.
I'm in need of a full set (R40 Frames and roundels) for a 3 circuit. Red, Blue, Green. 4 of each. Let me know if you still have those available.

All boxed up and waiting to ship. Last shipping didn't work out in still sitting in my department. Send me your address to ship to and if residential or industrial as needed for shipping price and I can have our shipping person come up with a cost to ship.

All boxed up and waiting to ship. Last shipping didn't work out in still sitting in my department. Send me your address to ship to and if residential or industrial as needed for shipping price and I can have our shipping person come up with a cost to ship.
Count me out the used-strip/border light idea won't work for my business. Going with LEDs.

Thanks in final on that, I'll put them back in the drawer and some day they might be useful again. Can't see throwing them out like the dozens of others I sent to the trash years ago. Someday perhaps I'll sell them off with LED nodes for prop/decorative lighting. Years ago, I remembering re-porceling white a set of A-21 reflectors... What a messy project I kind of miss.

Ship, reading this thread makes me sad. About 12 years ago we were on a scavenger hunt of sorts to find replacement roundels for the old Century strip lights at the PAC. They are in the basement now, zero roundels and still with asbestos wiring... likely to go to a HazMat place because of the asbestos. The Century strips were original to the building (1969) and as a bit of history, I hate to see them gone soon. I'm pretty sure we have the surviving roundels in a box, somewhere.

Gee, I don't get nostalgic about buggy whips.... ;)

I have no count of how many strip lights I have rewired from asbestos over the years... probably over three dozen. Ones without asbestos, probably well over double over that when including cycs in general without asbestos. Fixtures with asbestos re-wired over the years not including strip/cyc etc... well into the hundreds. That said, it's not a immune type of thing with asbestos, every instance I deal with asbestos, sets me back say 10 years from a final result of just one fiber reacting not so well with my body. Do I have asbestos fixtures yet to work on, yes. Do I take protections persay not OSHA with them... after 30 years of wiring stuff I do well enough and due to insurance purposes of the forum cannot go further.
Yes, it upset me to throw out so many lenses, but it was durng the pandemic and there were so many lenses. In a past discussion during that period of time I am sure I posted pictures of me with a Sawzall with metal cutting blade cutting apart 30' strips for dumpster fill. Broke my hart to do this also in having already saved so many. Even the Union guys in the room seemed to take notce of this cutting apart for the dumpster this effort. They probably didn't realize what was going on, only sparks.... but I had for the project destroy perfectly good lights so as to fit into the dumpster.
Was sort of cathartic in a way to cut apart fixtures over the years I had worked hard on to save. The lenses... probably a around a hundred of them. Will have loved to save them but that was than.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back