Free Stuff from Kelite!

<I thought apollo was deep died >

In truth, the Apollo Gel is a double-coated product. This two step process allows for finer tuning of color consistancy when coating is applied. One side of the polyester is coated and dried, then tested for color. The second surface is then coated after any saturation adjustments are made (if needed).

And yes, it may be time to switch.

;)

I am making the switch starting this year, I have noticed that Apollo's primary blues tend to be much nicer in color consistency than rosco. That being said, Rosco always tends to have a greenish tint in it's R80 variety, and I end up using the much more saturated R83 (more red). I have seen that the Apollo primary blue is very, very even and doesn't have the nasty green tint to it.

I am making the switch starting this year, I have noticed that Apollo's primary blues tend to be much nicer in color consistency than rosco. That being said, Rosco always tends to have a greenish tint in it's R80 variety, and I end up using the much more saturated R83 (more red). I have seen that the Apollo primary blue is very, very even and doesn't have the nasty green tint to it.

I believe the trick to coloring plastic is the organic dye one begins with. As KC Hooper told me of past issues, while working for another manufacturer, the dye companies providing the color to the window film industry get somewhat aggitated with the theater crowd. We have a tendency to expect color repeatability week after week, year after year.
Double coating the gel allows for the fine-tuning while the product is being made, which is a great plus. However, when gel is deep-dyed, you get one shot at it. Period. Then you sell what was sent to you, regardless of the hue and saturation shifts from the last batch...

I just got my UPS notification for my Apollo pack. Now I just have to find out where to buy Apollo colour in Adelaide.
Thanks Kelite

Apollo is looking better every day, I'm going to have to start spec'ing it when I can.

Just got my gel kit today!!!! Oh man, sweet stuff! I don't think I can bring myself to chew the gum. I loved the gel samples. Maybe I just imagined it, but I could actually tell a difference from the Rosco I'm used to, they seemed so clear, and that perf-gel is just dang sweet. I gotta try this stuff out.

Thank you for your positive comments, gang.

Our goal is to get the product in as many hands as possible, and let you guys decide what you think. If Apollo Gel (Perfed or not) makes your life better- we're happy.

Thanks again for giving it a try!!

:)

"AP5940: Putting Green"
"Use with caution or on actors that no one likes."

I think that might be the funniest thing I've read today. Props, Apollo!

Sold!

So where does one order Apollo gel? I don't think my local supply store carries apollo brand gel, or at least they don't have Apollo brand swatchbooks. Is the internet a good resource, or does one order directly from Apollo?
The Find a Dealer link on Apollo's website seems pretty clear, no? Now, unfortunately that doesn't mean yours is a stocking dealer, but delivery is pretty quick usually, and you should have thought ahead anyway. How many times has anyone had a "color media emergency"? As in, "the show is not going to happen unless I get 5 cuts of Lux02 (or AP7050)"?

Last edited:
The How many times has anyone had a "color media emergency"? As in, "the show is not going to happen unless I get 5 cuts of Lux02 (or AP7050)"?

Hm, it is theatre, it must have happened at least once somewhere.

Hey derek, did you do that conversion with Apollo's handy slide converter?

...Hey derek, did you do that conversion with Apollo's handy slide converter?
No, I went here, and typed in "X02." When that didn't work, I typed in "R02." I don't have "Apollo's handy slide converter." (Don't want it either. While I support kelite because of his participation here, I usually don't get to choose what brand of color I use, and wouldn't feel right about requesting a 'kit' from Apollo when I never intend to use their product. I've also stated I'm too old to begin using a new system, it's taken me 10 years to accept GAM, and then only for colors not available in Lee or Lux.)

We've talked about this before: Apollo's strategy seems to be to go after the educational market, and then when the kids graduate they'll use Apollo Gel professionally. I think that's great, but many places have been using Lee and Lux for so long they're not about to add another brand--only so many slots in that flat gel file after all.

Other professionals out there: Have you found designers specifying Apollo Gel? Alex, if you had a plot sent to you with all Apollo Gel, would you do it? (Assuming available budget, of course.)

Last edited:
Other professionals out there: Have you found designer's specifying Apollo Gel? Alex, if you had a plot sent to you with all Apollo Gel, would you do it? (Assuming available budget, of course.)
I have yet to have a designer spec Apollo color. While I have a very large stock of Gam, Lee, and Rosco gels, I would not be opposed to using Apollo. If I got a plot back with Apollo colors I would probably buy them. Even with my large stock of color I usually end up buying some color for a show. I suppose I might call the designer and talk about it for the first few shows that asked for it, or if the entire plot was Apollo because it may not fit in the budget. I try not to say "no" though. If we could make it work then we would. Then of course there is the post show problem of finding space to store the new color...

Other professionals out there: Have you found designer's specifying Apollo Gel? Alex, if you had a plot sent to you with all Apollo Gel, would you do it? (Assuming available budget, of course.)

Nope, never. In eight years at Shakespeare Theatre Company in DC, I've never seen Apollo color come in on a plot. We may have had one or two templates, but that's it. If I got a plot with all Apollo, I'd probably phone first. It would be so odd that I'd have to ask, just for my curiosity. So long as whatever was requested fit in the show budget, then yes we'd buy it. We usually buy new color for every show, unless we have new cuts in the drawer.

I have nothing at all against Apollo, but it's not up to me as the ME to change the designers colors. The only thing I will do without asking is substitute HT for regular Lee color when I can.

--Sean

I ME and work shows for many national tours, regional shows and with designers from all over--I have not yet seen an Apollo gel request. But of course--if they asked for it, I would and could get it... We do gel orders for all shows that come thru my venue...

When I design shows I often go with a lot of my own color schemes I am used to, but I do want to try some Apollo out and see how it lasts and looks...
-w

I haven't gotten anything yet either :(

I haven't gotten anything yet either :(

Kelite's working as fast as he can. But it takes him a while to stuff those boxes then drive them to the post office. He's just one guy against the world.

As has been said, this seems like a really good marketing plan for Apollo. They have a good product and a scientifically based numbering system to their gel... who would have thought that possible. The Perf gel is a great idea. So get it out there in the hands of young future designers and let them play with it. It's a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back