Frequencies & Old Equipment

Rosie

Could someone help a somewhat sound-illiterate girl out?

I've got a lot of equipment in storage that I'm not using and would like to purge. The thing is that I have only been running this theatre for 8 months and I don't know what is tossed in storage due to being in the wrong FCC band and what is good equipment that is simply not in use. How can you tell what frequencies something uses? And what is the latest on more frequencies getting taken away from us to use?

I want to be sure that I'm getting rid of the correct things and investing in new equipment that will be usable after whatever this next big FCC change is.

Any advise would be most appreciated.
Thank you!

If its not wireless, its fine. As for wireless, its a little more complicated. ~700-800 MHz is out of bounds legally (someone else will probably have specifics), though every piece of wireless gear should have its frequency range printed on it.
Before you purge anything, I'd inventory everything in use, in storage, and figure out what it does and if it works. No sense throwing out a pile of perfectly good off board processing to buy a different pile of offboard processing that does the same thing.

Thank you, BobHealey. Have you heard any updates on the next FCC axe to the frequency bands?

Also, anyone have any good reference sites for headset pack repair?
There's a massive pile of Telex headsets in a box labeled "repair" but I don't have the foggiest what is wrong with them or how to even attempt to start diagnosing them. The thing is, we are in dire need of more packs - we're so low on functioning packs that we can't really function appropriately for events.

There is some stalled "pending" paperwork on the FCC killing the 600-700Mhz band as well. As for what your transmitters are currently running at, Google is your best friend! Some, like the Sennheisers, break bands into A, B, and C. In that case, the C band is gone as it is in the 700Mhz range. B band is ok for now (600 Mhz range) and the A band is good as it is in the 500Mhz range.

Thank you, BobHealey. Have you heard any updates on the next FCC axe to the frequency bands?

Also, anyone have any good reference sites for headset pack repair?
There's a massive pile of Telex headsets in a box labeled "repair" but I don't have the foggiest what is wrong with them or how to even attempt to start diagnosing them. The thing is, we are in dire need of more packs - we're so low on functioning packs that we can't really function appropriately for events.

For repair, I would start by calling or emailing Telex (now part of Bosch Communications I think), or contacting companies like Full Compass or Masque Sound who sell the products and also have service facilities.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the 600-700 MHz TV channels will fall. I have heard that the wireless companies don't want that band. The wavelengths are getting long enough that it is hard to cram an efficient antenna inside a phone, and I don't think consumers would accept telescoping antennas again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back