FROG Programming

rapscaLLion

Hi,

On the topic of another lighting project I may be working on (have to put together a proposal).

The client has an led light fixture that takes 3 channels of DMX direct input, one for Red, Green and Blue respectively. The client wants to connect a sensor to the fixture in such a way that the intensity of the sensor (say a percentage of 100 for argument's sake) affects the color of the light. This is not straightforward because they have specified a specified, non-linear and fairly complex range of colors in a specific order. The first step is to get the sensor into a set of midi commands, but here's where I need opinions:

If I where to rent a Frog2 console and program say 100 points along the specified color range, then move that to a Frog Replay Unit, could I use memories combined with MIDI input to specify the "next" memory in the sequence?

IE - The chase/memory sequence (not sure what the correct terminology is) has 100 points, the fade time is constant (say 3 seconds). The current input from the constantly changing sensor is 26, which would go through a convertor and set the "next" memory on the replay unit to "26" in the sequence. The next would be set every 2/3 seconds, so it would be constantly shifting colors.

This is all automated with no user intervention and must run 24/7/365 indefinately. The replay unit should be perfect for this as this is what it is designed for, and will fit perfectly in the rack.

I know I'm not articulating very well, but does this seem like it will work?

Why are they specing a sensor? If the goal is to get an ever changing LED look that is random the same could be done very easily on a HOG and possible others. Make one cue stack with 100 differnt colors and make the fades all three secounds. Then under playback options selected chase - random. That should give you what it sounds like you want, the only problem I can forsee is if it randomly picks two colors of the same shade IE something that looks like R33 and the next one is R333 a three secound fade between them will be unnoticable.

The colors are not supposed to be random. They have specified a color scale to be followed based on the speed from the sensor. Faster = further along the scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back