The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

FROG Programming

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by rapscaLLion, Jan 25, 2007.

1. rapscaLLion

rapscaLLion Active Member

Hi,

On the topic of another lighting project I may be working on (have to put together a proposal).

The client has an led light fixture that takes 3 channels of DMX direct input, one for Red, Green and Blue respectively. The client wants to connect a sensor to the fixture in such a way that the intensity of the sensor (say a percentage of 100 for argument's sake) affects the color of the light. This is not straightforward because they have specified a specified, non-linear and fairly complex range of colors in a specific order. The first step is to get the sensor into a set of midi commands, but here's where I need opinions:

If I where to rent a Frog2 console and program say 100 points along the specified color range, then move that to a Frog Replay Unit, could I use memories combined with MIDI input to specify the "next" memory in the sequence?

IE - The chase/memory sequence (not sure what the correct terminology is) has 100 points, the fade time is constant (say 3 seconds). The current input from the constantly changing sensor is 26, which would go through a convertor and set the "next" memory on the replay unit to "26" in the sequence. The next would be set every 2/3 seconds, so it would be constantly shifting colors.

This is all automated with no user intervention and must run 24/7/365 indefinately. The replay unit should be perfect for this as this is what it is designed for, and will fit perfectly in the rack.

I know I'm not articulating very well, but does this seem like it will work?

2. soundman

soundman Well-Known Member

Why are they specing a sensor? If the goal is to get an ever changing LED look that is random the same could be done very easily on a HOG and possible others. Make one cue stack with 100 differnt colors and make the fades all three secounds. Then under playback options selected chase - random. That should give you what it sounds like you want, the only problem I can forsee is if it randomly picks two colors of the same shade IE something that looks like R33 and the next one is R333 a three secound fade between them will be unnoticable.

3. rapscaLLion

rapscaLLion Active Member

The colors are not supposed to be random. They have specified a color scale to be followed based on the speed from the sensor. Faster = further along the scale.