Frontlight

I personally was able to just change the settings on my dimmers so that they are able to play nice with my LED fixtures. .

There is no such setting on anything other then an ETC ThruPower dimmer that allows dimmers to play nice with movers and LED's. It has been discussed to death that an SCR can still show a chopped sine wave under certain loads that may kill the device(s). You need to use dedicated power, a relay or constant circuit to get clean power to such devices.

Last edited:
I can understand LED for cyc lighting and specials. I'm not sure about area lights. Shows I have seen done "professionally" seem to still use a lot of standard instruments. I saw a show at a community theater that used all LED lighting. The lighting never looked natural. Is there a thread on here debating the use of LEDs and standard instruments?

Do you use movers for regular show lighting? Something like a play or a musical? It's too "disco" for me.

I learned something new about the issue of plugging LEDs into dimmable circuits. It does not make sense from a design standpoint since the entire installed base uses dimmable circuits. I guess they get to sell a bunch of new dimmers now. I wonder what retrofitting all your dimmers does to the business case for LED lighting. I'm sure someone sold the school district on it being LED lighting so it uses less electricity and is "green".

I wonder what retrofitting all your dimmers does to the business case for LED lighting. I'm sure someone sold the school district on it being LED lighting so it uses less electricity and is "green".
You wouldn't need to retrofit all your dimmers. LED's are more efficent and have distributed control, so retrofitting just a few circuits for each location is usually plenty.

Having attended the ETC Layers of Light demo at the NYC office, I would have no issues using the Series 2 LED fixtures in any application, FOH or side especially.

We saw this fixture demo'd against a 575w S4 ellipsoidal and it was a match for color, intensity and dimming

They are that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back