Frost and LED emitters

JChenault

Whenever I have tried to use a frost or silk on a multi emitter LED unit, the frost does much less I expect. ( silks for example don't get very directional )

Does anyone understand the physics of why this is so?

I've used linear diffusion with LED pars to pretty good success. I'd say it's usually 1-2" from the actual LEDs. I'm not sure if it did as much as on conventionals.

I would guess the physics side would have something to do with the LEDs are already a pretty diffuse source (given you're combining multiple sources) whereas the conventionals are a single source.

I would guess the physics side would have something to do with the LEDs are already a pretty diffuse source (given you're combining multiple sources) whereas the conventionals are a single source.

Most LEDs with out any sort of built-in lens or reflector, like my Maglite, have a fairly sharp edge. So maybe if the rays are travelling more or less in the same direction, the refraction of silk isn't going to be as noticeable with the smaller angle. I think the Altman Spectra Cyc encloses the LEDs in a frosted plastic lens before shooting down to the reflector, but I'm not certain of that.

LEDs are, by physical nature, very directional. Often there's swappable lenses that will diffuse more, but yes you will have to use stronger frost or silk than you expect.

The American DJ frost meant for LEDs is awesome and certainly does a great job.

Mike

Whenever I have tried to use a frost or silk on a multi emitter LED unit, the frost does much less I expect. ( silks for example don't get very directional )

Does anyone understand the physics of why this is so?

For more on the physics of this, see Mike Wood's article [PDF] in the Fall 2012 issue of Protocol. While focusing on non-Gaussian diffusion, he does talk about why traditional silk and frost do not perform as expected.

Luminit is supposed to really good. i tried it once a few years ago with 10mm rgb diodes and it was ok. I don't know how the newer combination or rgba or rgbw units work with it. Based on my limited trials diffusion success is partially a function of distance from the diodes, diode layout, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back