frost/diffusion

legacy

Wondering if any one knows : 1 how hot the glass and fixture gets for one of those metal Halid type fixutures ( the ones in gyms).. and is it possible to place a sheet of diffusion gel on the glass at t he bottom if I can anchor it down. 2 If not then is there a FP frost or any other product that can be sprayed on the oustide of the glass. Reason for this is to calm the fixture down and spread light somewhat thanks

Yeah, they don't get hot enough to melt gel. Most of the metal halide "halophane" lights are 400 watts (the most common wattage) and their prisms/reflectors are acrylic. I am assuming yours have aluminum reflectors. I have some here and they stay relatively cool - especially for such a high-output fixture.

You can probably somehow frost the glass with an aerosol, but be warned that the lenses are tempered and somewhat expensive. And I'm not sure but any spray could compromise the lens' ability to transmit heat properly. I would go for a gel, probably (and preferably) even taped (high temp of course) to the inside of the lens.

Last edited:
Thanks Leslie, That kept me from setting up scaffolding twice. was also thinking about taking the glass out and actually sandblasting lightly,,,, but will go for the diffusion gels

The metal halide 400w lamps also come in frosted, but are usually used in the Acrylic fixtures. You may look into seeing if these will work with aluminum reflectors in diffusing the beam. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back