Frowning Soft Goods: Scrim, Cyc, Bounce

We have a black, sharks-tooth scrim, a white, seamless muslin cyc, and a white, plastic Twin White "bounce". All three of them are piped have a form of "frowning" at the bottom. So, when bringing them to the deck, there is a generous gap between the piece and the ground. We then end up over-travelling a bit to get rid of the gap.

Are there any solutions to this problem? Only the cyc has a front flap, but it has curled under over time and doesn't help. We will be steaming that soon to see what coverage it affords us.

When spec'ing new soft goods, such as these, what are the best features to have to ensure a good looking piece for a longer period of time?

Thanks!

Wags

Got any photos of how these items are attached to their battens? Might help us get a better idea regarding to what degree this is happening.

When you fly the drape, the weight of the fabric and bottom pipe can sag the top pipe at the pipe ends. Depends om the number of lines for the main pipe and distance to the end of pipe. We had to resort to bridles on pipes that had legs, which lowers the maximum pipe travel.

Hard to get good pictures, but I think you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4386.JPG
    IMG_4386.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4389.JPG
    IMG_4389.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    401.2 KB · Views: 215
Is there a way to plan for this when ordering new soft goods?

First thing to check is height from deck of the pipe the cyc hangs on. Looks like maybe it’s not completely level. The blackout drop looks pretty good. Bitch on “level” is it’s hard to get perfect especially if the aircraft cable attachment points are chain, as you’ve got a built in 1“ max tolerance from the chain links. If there’s a turnbuckle above chain (rarely as it reduces flying height and has issues of the top of the turnbuckle getting into the loft blocks) easy to trim.

Best option on cyc is to run it in lower and use the bottom pipe to roll up material in back, then using the roll to keep it looking clean. Only issue is that’s great when the cyc stays in. If it flies a lot, then SOL.

Hmmm, I've always had the opposite problem, smiling bottom pipe, particularly with scrims sagging in the middle and hourglassing at the sides.

Good start is to make sure the top pipe is level. Then, to correct forming, perhaps it's possible to lengthen the middle ties?

Looking more carefully at the pictures...your problem doesn't appear that bad. Nothing a scenic groundrow couldn't fix, and then you'd have a place to light from the bottom also. You know, for the ColorForceII striplights you don't have.

A few thoughts:
  • Is it possible the bottom pipes are bent?
  • If not, as suggested, you could correct for the problem by adjusting either the system pipe (esp. if the goods are always on the same pipes) or the ties.
  • You could add a larger skirt on the bottom of the goods.
Was that enough thoughts to warrant my use of bullets?

I've totally had bottom pipes that bent and then you really can't fix it. Great question because I wonder if chain was used instead of pipe, would the stretch of the cyc have been different?

I've totally had bottom pipes that bent and then you really can't fix it. Great question because I wonder if chain was used instead of pipe, would the stretch of the cyc have been different?

That's an interesting thought. I would think the chain would cause a bit of bunching in the cyc at the bottom. I know we have to stretch ours out along the bottom pipe from time to time. THe rigidity of the pipe keeps it taut to the outsides.

To answer you question about preventing the problem with new soft goods, I would suggest a cable to support the offstage ends of the bottom pipe, especially with scrims, as that's where I see the issue most often. While you're at it, add a handful of tarp clamps to help prevent hourglassing.
With a cyc or other solid drop, just a couple extra inches of skirt past the bottom pipe is usually enough to suffice.

the bottom pipes are bent?
That is a possibility as well. The piping is just regular Home Depot 3/4" conduit. I've looked into maybe getting something a bit more rigid.

a cable to support the offstage ends of the bottom pipe
Is this why I see some drops with bungee built-in to the hour-glass sides?

a couple extra inches of skirt
Yes. This is something I missed when we ordered our new scrim. Humidity ruined the old one and this being the first time ordering a soft good, I didn't get all the details. The cyc has a skirt on it, but years of landing on it has caused it to bunch up and fold under. I need to straighten it out to work better. Best way to do that to muslin?

I had the same thought regarding straightness of the pipes in the pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG