Frozen Effects for let it go song!

I just got hired on as SM and special effects for a production of Frozen Jr. One of the tasks I need to figure out is the transformation of Elsa during the "Let it Go" song. Here is a link to the video on Broadway
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do not have a very big budget so cheaper ideas are better. Also it is child run so please keep that in mind.

ANY IDEAS welcome! The more impressive the outcome the better!

Thanks you all in advance.

If you're a registered non-profit theatre company, you could try to get a 10-15k lumen projector from a rental house / corporate AV company in exchange for a tax write-off.

If that's not possible, you could look at getting a small rental for some punchy moving lights for gobos / beams / spot effects.

(I'm doing lighting design for a production of Frozen Jr on this side of the border, we're having the same low-budget discussions over here)

There's also a tear-away costume, some fairy lights and snowflakes that appear to be flown in, and a fogger, but the bulk of the effect is image mapping with projectors.

A much more low budget approach would be to borrow ideas from old school productions of The Nutcracker: a mirror drum or snow cradle to simulate falling snow, stretching strips fabric across the stage to simulate snow drifts, flying in a drop if you have the capability.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of spray can Elsa's on YouTube at this point. I think this is the low-budget winner. Good choreo makes this pretty darn entertaining!

If you're a registered non-profit theatre company, you could try to get a 10-15k lumen projector from a rental house / corporate AV company in exchange for a tax write-off.

If that's not possible, you could look at getting a small rental for some punchy moving lights for gobos / beams / spot effects.

(I'm doing lighting design for a production of Frozen Jr on this side of the border, we're having the same low-budget discussions over here)
Let me know if you come up with any other amazing ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back