Funky Cable in the pit.

Windrider

There is a cable coming right out from under our stage at my school, right into the pit. At first I thought it could be Socapex, we do have a dimmers that go to a "unknown location". My school was built in 55, so everyone thought it was just from and old system. After more research, ive finally found a product number for the connector! Amphenol MS3106B28-21S. Now, my question is, is for the dimmers, like a socapex or is it from an old system? We have a Strand CD-80SV for our dimmers. If it is for the dimmers I'd love to finally use this! My other question is if it is for the dimmers.. where could I get something like a socapex breakout for this?

I also just looked at the link above that came up on socapex... it could be a 37 pin socapex... It says amphenol at the bottom and 28-21s at the top. Pins are labeled with uppercase and lowercase letters.

Do you have pictures? We like pictures...

I fifth the request for photos.

I also just looked at the link above that came up on socapex... it could be a 37 pin socapex... It says amphenol at the bottom and 28-21s at the top. Pins are labeled with uppercase and lowercase letters.

Datasheet says 37-pin. Don't have the link handy but a quick Googke search on that model found it.

37 pin Veam connector, popular in the 1980's. 18 circuits, one ground. 10+ amp pins. 1kw per circuit. Often coupled on the end of 16/37 SDN type cable that used nylon insulated conductors in a heavy rubber jacket. Had a bunch of the stuff back in the 80's myself. BML out of NJ was making it popular in the north-east US. Used as truss feeders for 8 fixture bars. Each 8 fixture bar would also have one non-dim (total 9) and would then jump to the next bar on a double hang, thus 18 circuits total.

Don't think anything like this would be allowed today. (#16 wire and only one ground for 18 circuits.)

SDN16-37 SDN Small Diameter Multi-Conductor

Remember them looking like this Syntax Male Panel 37 Pin (Male frame mount. But green with silver pins.)
proxy.php

Last edited:
If it's 37 wire that sounds like a Pyle cable to me. You probably COULD make it usable, but if it's 16 AWG like the datasheet I found on the matter says it should be you're not going to be able to use it for much and you'd have to do some work on both ends to get enough grounding which would probably mean buying component parts and soldering them yourself, which although do able I don't recommend (soldering 37 pin connectors is no fun). You're best bet is to see if you can remove the cable and sell if for scrap and use the money to buy more modern equipment.

EDIT: I reread the the OP's 2nd post and on this datasheet if you search for 28-21 it'll bring up a 37pin 16AWG connector so my assumptions seem to be correct.

SIDE NOTE: On the same data sheet they have an 85 pin connector. Wouldn't that be fun to solder?

Last edited:
I've used that connector extensively, though not for mains voltages.
37 pin is the size of choice for a 12 channel audio core, and 85 pins works well for 24 (or theoetically 28) channels.

Soldering them is not an issue, you solder the contacts individually and then insert them into the connector body.

off the top of my head I would just say that it is unlikely to be part of the lighting system. What makes you think it is part of the lighting system?
Your unterminated dimmers are likely on the grid in a pull box waiting for the acoustical shell that was high on the priority but got cut out of the project just before the dimmer rack was installed.
I have borrowed such unused (future use) dimmers in the past.. at least till they get around to installing a shell.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of those scattered about my theater as audio snake connections. If it is in the pit, that seems probable to me. Do you have an audio patch bay around anywhere, or maybe a matching connector in the booth around where the sound board sits? It is possible if you have un-terminated dimmers, they are just extras. When I was in school, the sensor rack that was installed had 6 unused circuits in it, but they where populated with dimmers instead of blanks. It was located in a room right off stage left, so some cabling out of the rack gave me some more useable circuits to play with on stage.

IMG_20120321_083834.jpg
Here's a picture. There are no others in our whole stage area. I'm almost sure it isn't sound, the only built in sound equipment we have it a PA system and it only has XLR inputs. I noticed some of you said I might be able to use my other dimmers by running cables directly into the dimmer rack.. how would I do that with my CD-80SV? Another weird thing is that the unknown dimmers are 1,2,37,38,39,44,47,48. We have a 24 module rack with dual 2.4kW dimmers.

View attachment 6690
Here's a picture. There are no others in our whole stage area. I'm almost sure it isn't sound, the only built in sound equipment we have it a PA system and it only has XLR inputs. I noticed some of you said I might be able to use my other dimmers by running cables directly into the dimmer rack.. how would I do that with my CD-80SV? Another weird thing is that the unknown dimmers are 1,2,37,38,39,44,47,48. We have a 24 module rack with dual 2.4kW dimmers.

Although the pinout looks the same, the shell is a reverse of the Veam series. On those, the key is on the male and the slot is on the female along with the locking ring. Bit of an odd connector (although Amphenol connectors are well known) so all bets are off. Are there any markings on the cable? Is it a long cable, or is this a tail coming from a box that is less than six feet away?

It has multiple wires coming out of it... going directly under the stage.. maybe I could track it in our basement.

Ooooh! Interesting twist of the plot line! Follow those wires! (Could be something from an old organ install.)

Ooooh! Interesting twist of the plot line! Follow those wires! (Could be something from an old organ install.)

You beat me to it! I was just begining to think it might be an organ connector. I remember using Veam but it was always in a production R&R setting never in a permanent install.

Our rebuilt 1927 organ is using multipin for data. Might be something to look into.

I've seen them used for lighting but only with an external neutral so you have have 24 hots, 12 grounds, and 1 solid support core. Not the best idea I've ever heard, but the show I saw this on was built in 99 with equipment that wasn't exactly brand new.

View attachment 6690

You may want to drop in to your town's building department and ask to see the blueprints for your school auditorium. I did that and it answered lots of questions I had concerning how things were originally set up. I'm sure that your school didn't have XLR connectors in 1955. Your sound system probably consisted of push-and-twist connectors in the stage floor that were connected to an amp, reel to reel tape player and a record player back stage. The blueprint may also answer your "mystery dimmer" question. You might find a long lost wall pocket, floor pocket, or footlights you didn't know you had. Who knows, the original plans may even solve your cable question.

You could also try contacting a retired music or AV teacher to see if they can help you.

Off the top of my head I cant remember how many pins it has but ive got an old house light control box that has a connector pretty similar to that. Don't think it had that
Many pins but I'll try to find a picture.

proxy.php

Doesn't show how many pins but it's pretty similar in size and it's pretty close, so it could be something like that too

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back