Funky Cable in the pit.

That connector isn't rated for enough current for it to be the dimmer outputs. But, it certainly could have been used for an analog control lighting console for a previous dimming system. The building is old enough to have gone through several generations of dimming systems.

Now that I've looked at the connector on my house lights box I think I'm right. It's labeled "Amphenol" as well. So I'm thinking it had to tie into some system like the box I posted above. Here's mine with the male end.

photo(1).JPG

do the " multiple wires " have any sort of printing on them and how many is multiple?

photo of the printing on the wire?

do the " multiple wires " have any sort of printing on them and how many is multiple?

the wire looks like 'bell wire' each dimmer has its own cable. each dimmer pack is 12 1.2k dimmers, each dimmer has its own 2 conductor 18awg cable, 2 dimmer pack means 24 cables between dimmer packs and 2 scene preset board. An additional 6 cables go between dimmer pack A and a wall mount fader module. The only way to change which fader controls which dimmer is to move the fader cable to the dimmer you want to control. Risky business considering the age of the equipment, and how touchy the fader module already is.

I don't have 24/7 access to get pics. Hopefully will have a few minutes tomorrow morn to swing by.

That connector isn't rated for enough current for it to be the dimmer outputs. But, it certainly could have been used for an analog control lighting console for a previous dimming system. The building is old enough to have gone through several generations of dimming systems.

Thats what I thought after i looked into 37 pin socapex and my tech teacher told me she thought the wires had the wrong gauge...

Does your pit have a lift? Our original pit lift controller had a very similar connector. A later renovation changed it to a much more robust connector with fewer pins.

Nope nothing fancy like that haha.

You may want to drop in to your town's building department and ask to see the blueprints for your school auditorium. I did that and it answered lots of questions I had concerning how things were originally set up. I'm sure that your school didn't have XLR connectors in 1955. Your sound system probably consisted of push-and-twist connectors in the stage floor that were connected to an amp, reel to reel tape player and a record player back stage. The blueprint may also answer your "mystery dimmer" question. You might find a long lost wall pocket, floor pocket, or footlights you didn't know you had. Who knows, the original plans may even solve your cable question.

You could also try contacting a retired music or AV teacher to see if they can help you.

The drama techer suggested that and told a assistant principal had them. its spring break so i have to wait till next week. I shall unlock the secrets of the school like our rumoured hallway across the top of the gym!!!

Find it yet?

I'm guessing it's from an analogue dimmer system, as a on stage/ near stage connection for hang/focus. The local private college has a similar lighting system in an old church turned concert hall. Will get pics 2 compare against.

Havent been able to get in the basement yet... its spring break so i have to wait till next week.

I'll get a picture next week.

You may want to drop in to your town's building department and ask to see the blueprints for your school auditorium. I did that and it answered lots of questions I had concerning how things were originally set up.

I hate to drag this thread off-topic, but will the building department really just give out blueprints like that? I've been wanting blueprints of our theater for the longest time.

I hate to drag this thread off-topic, but will the building department really just give out blueprints like that? I've been wanting blueprints of our theater for the longest time.
You may have to prove your identity and pay for a copy, but probably.

I'm telling ya it's got the same amphenal label as my house light box, I think it's for an old system like that for control I'd put good money on it

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Amphenol is a company that makes (among other things) connectors. Their round ones are very common in the industrial and military world.
/mike

I'm aware, but the theatre I pulled that box from had a pit connection and a backstage connection for it which is why I think it may have been a similar system

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I did work in a church that had a connector almost identical to that for an audio snake...its no where near 60 years ild though, so I doubt your connector is for the same thing. Very similar looking though.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk

If it has multiple wires going to different places, that might rule out lighting control, as youd think that all wires would head to the rack or back to the booth. I wonder if it was for a custom sound system back in the day. There would be a large number of wires exiting the amp rack to go to the different frequency drivers, so this may explain the wires heading off in different directions. It also could be for an organ as mentioned before, I know our theatre had the organ amps under the stage.

Last edited:
Any updates on where the cable went?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back