Future Education

mbandgeek

I am a 15 year old student in a small high school In North Carolina. I have recieved certified training a year ago while i was a freshman. I really like working in the theater, but i don't know much about any college that offers advanced education as a theater manager?

Where is a great school, and how much does it cost?

thanks,
Mbandgeek

Ditto above.

Also, is it just managing, or are you interested in work and design as well?

Also, where in NC? I'm in pittsboro, just south of chapel hill and carrboro.

I Just want to work with the lighting and sound mixing consoles.

I should have been more clear on my "certification". it is basically a certification to be able to run any theatrical productions in my small county. this certifications required me to understand the concepts of using these mixing boards. i had to go through a 2 week training course, and i had to display competence in Technical theater.

As for where i live, i am on the other side of the state in a little county called Polk county, about an 2 hours from the tennessee border, and 5 minutes from the south carolina border.

I really do not care if i'm a manager, but maybe someday.

mbandgeek said:
I Just want to work with the lighting and sound mixing consoles.

I should have been more clear on my "certification". it is basically a certification to be able to run any theatrical productions in my small county. this certifications required me to understand the concepts of using these mixing boards. i had to go through a 2 week training course, and i had to display competence in Technical theater.

As for where i live, i am on the other side of the state in a little county called Polk county, about an 2 hours from the tennessee border, and 5 minutes from the south carolina border.

I really do not care if i'm a manager, but maybe someday.
I have heared that Penn State has a nice Lighting Design program, but as far as managing goes I would recomend an Arts Management degree. My teacher has one and it allows him to apply for a whole lot of diferent jobs, because he took a plethora of course to obtain his degree; however, you need to find a program that suits your needs, the internet has a lot of information, but also try contacting some of the unions, their members would know of some of the better schools to look at.

AVGuyAndy said:
So you're certified in theatre, but can't figure out the simplest thing ever, a patchbay?

If it is so simple, then why is it not possible for us to be able to tell him to plug a cable from X into Y. Yes the concept is simple, but every one is different, and the place where they did this training may not have even had a patchbay.

North Carolina School for the arts is in your state and is rumored to have a pretty good technical theater program

AVGuyAndy said:
So you're certified in theatre, but can't figure out the simplest thing ever, a patchbay?

Hey that is really low. Patchbays are not the simplest thing. that my friend is saved for the ticket tearers at the front door.

If you say that it is so simple than explain it then.

Chris15 said:
If it is so simple, then why is it not possible for us to be able to tell him to plug a cable from X into Y. Yes the concept is simple, but every one is different, and the place where they did this training may not have even had a patchbay.

It had one, but the guy that trained use was more knowledgable in lights, than in sound.

mbandgeek said:
Hey that is really low. Patchbays are not the simplest thing. that my friend is saved for the ticket tearers at the front door.

If you say that it is so simple than explain it then.

I have to agree that patch bays depending upon which type - and there are very different types out there can be confusing especially if not trined in the use of them. Most of the world is dimmer per circuit now, than there was that locking lever one I once scratched my head over many times.

ship said:
I have to agree that patch bays depending upon which type - and there are very different types out there can be confusing especially if not trined in the use of them. Most of the world is dimmer per circuit now, than there was that locking lever one I once scratched my head over many times.

I think in this instance, we are referring to audio patchbays as per the other thread.

You mean there is more than one type of patch bay out there? Egg on me for not following the posting creep from one section to another.

I take back my words, there is only one form of patch bay.

ya i love patching 110 in TRS connectors... and audio sounds so good through a slide patch..

What I meant was that the debate between AVGuyAndy and mbandgeek and patchbays is this thread is directly linked to the other thread.

Pie4Weebl said:
don't most dimmer racks have patch bays?

sorry chris15, but i have to say this.

our auditorium is too new to have a patchbay on the dimmer packs.

back on topic now, Does anyone know a great technical theater school?

Chris15 said:
What I meant was that the debate between AVGuyAndy and mbandgeek and patchbays is this thread is directly linked to the other thread.

It's also not a debate, if i was debating, i would know what i am talking about, but i have no idea what a patchbay is. it is just AVGuyAndy just taking cheap stabs at my knowledge.

mbandgeek said:
sorry chris15, but i have to say this.

our auditorium is too new to have a patchbay on the dimmer packs.

back on topic now, Does anyone know a great technical theater school?

That is an interesting comment to make. I know of a nearby school that just got some new dimmers and there are patching abilities, so new does not always mean patchbay less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back