Gaff-tape color-matching

Sure. But TV is my jam, and... well, half a dozen reasons. This is the problem I have to solve, and converting it into a different problem won't get me where I want to go.
Have you / they considered a neatly installed run of Panduct and / or PVC rigid conduit and / or ABS neatly installed once and painted to match its surroundings?
For color matching, remove a switch or receptacle cover plate or a small length of molding, take to your paint dealer for matching, then reinstall it. Panduct's cover is removable if things get hopelessly tangled. Pull lines could be your friend and ALWAYS pull in a new one if / when you're pulling one out.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
I used to purchase samplers from findtape.com when I needed to make color choices. Some hotels I worked in had a different color per floor so conference room setups had tape that matched the carpet.
But alas, the website has so many words and so little spacing, my eyes are literally twitching at the moment and can't find the sampler.

Oh, that's *those* people; I forgot about them. They've upped their web game considerable.

And yes, that's really cool; I think I got one once. Been 7 or 8 years; I don't remember the results.

Certainly. But I've taken *good* gaff (P-665) off painted gypsum after a year. If you know how to do it properly, and you don't rush, you can do it without lifting any paint, especially if -- like here -- the paint's had 8 years or more to cure.

And we don't even let duct tape through the doors; we'll evict you for that.

Glitter too.

And hay.

Of course whatever you tape with after a while and you try to remove it the wall will need some serious repair and repainting.
Duct tape is best used for its intended purposes, duct work.
What's commonly known as duct tape is actually pretty crummy for ductwork, and not permitted by code in many areas. It presumably does still work well for its original purpose, namely sealing ammunition cases against water etc. while being quick to apply and remove in battle situations--and properly was called duck tape, as it was originally made on a cotton duck fabric base. Appropriate tapes for ductwork are usually more like self-adhesive aluminum foil (and can be handy for some other sorts of repairs, too, being non-stretching, quite strong in tension, and holding its shape when creased).

What's commonly known as duct tape is actually pretty crummy for ductwork, and not permitted by code in many areas. It presumably does still work well for its original purpose, namely sealing ammunition cases against water etc. while being quick to apply and remove in battle situations--and properly was called duck tape, as it was originally made on a cotton duck fabric base. Appropriate tapes for ductwork are usually more like self-adhesive aluminum foil (and can be handy for some other sorts of repairs, too, being non-stretching, quite strong in tension, and holding its shape when creased).
Which is to say that we know this *now*, but HVAC installers did used to use "duct tape" back in the 70s and 80s for taping "ducts" -- I've heard convincing arguments both ways as to which name came first...

I second the idea of painting it. Tape NEVER matches the color of something else and something thats a little-off color will draw your eye (especially if you are talking TV, not theater).
Maybe you can pre-paint the tape, stick it to something else, and then transfer it.

Another idea that hasn't been mentioned but isn't as good as paint - email your tape-shop and ask them to send you a picture of both rolls side-by-side with something else that you can compare to..... like gel which they probably have in stock.

True enough. In this case, there's rarely enough ambient light in the room for non-professionals to notice it, I suspect, and it will be right at an acute fold in the wall, too (we have those FLW-style acoustic bulges in both sidewalls, and it's at the deepest joint).

I'd prefer to use wiremold, but I don't think I can sell that to the boss, until someone above him sells it to him, which might yet (cough-DELTA-cough) happen this summer. I just got a measuring rope in from Amazon, so I can get a tighter grip on the scope of the problem. I may just have to come back to the door to that room, for both the booth run and the floor run, and suck up the extra cable length. I have 4 or 5 weeks to set it up, so it's not as pressing as it might be.

Have you considered repainting your venue to match the Gaffer's tape of your choice?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
We slightly altered the color of some Ringling Brothers driveable props to match red electricians tape. Saved a ton of time on emergency touch ups, but management would have kicked our butts for doing it.

We slightly altered the color of some Ringling Brothers driveable props to match red electricians tape. Saved a ton of time on emergency touch ups, but management would have kicked our butts for doing it.
Feldian Phollies. Everything's a circus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back