Gaff's 2019 LDI Report

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Well I'm on the ground in Vegas. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and getting my hands on the latest toys. I'll be posting updates throughout the weekend in this thread. Feel free to reply back and ask questions.

Well I'm on the ground in Vegas. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and getting my hands on the latest toys. I'll be posting updates throughout the weekend in this thread. Feel free to reply back and ask questions.
I too made it !! Is there a planned C. B. meetup? I’d love to meet in person.

Well the show is open. I caught the first demo show at the GLP booth. AMAZING, as usual! All but one fixture in the show is new this year. They have a new motto, "We give a f---! ". I'll try to get a video of the show later, but I loved this cool new fixture. It did so many cool little twinkle effects and was a great boarder to the stage.
IMG_20191122_112715.jpgIMG_20191122_112728.jpg

Checking out the Clay Paky Xtylos. ("Stee-los") It's a mover with an additive RGB laser engine. Colors are super vivid and bright. It's hard to describe how lush the color is. Really impressive new technology. They also have a cool moving mirror. It's not an iCue, it's a large moving mirror target to hit with tight beamed lights for new bounce effects. Videos later...
IMG_20191122_142930.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the video of their demo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any concern about breathing haze all day long? There's sure enough of it! Thanks for the pictures.
It's really not bad in the show floor the year, it's been much much worse in years past.

Friday night was the 4Wall party. Seems like most of LDI was there! Free food, drinks, and tattoos!
IMG_20191122_225211.jpg
Loved the Mario Kart in the corner...
IMG_20191122_231946.jpg
I loved this...
IMG_20191122_231334.jpg

We just had Pablo from Argentina walk up and introduce himself and say how much they love CB in Argentina! He says CB is famous there and any time they have a question, everyone knows to check CB. How cool was that! Thanks for saying Hi Pablo, it was so great to meet you!

What a grear day! We were invited to a new product demo where you have to sign an NDA and check your phone at the door. We saw a prototypebproduct that will not be out for about 6 months or so and I believe it is going to be a real game changer. Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about it. I'm going to write up my thoughts on the demo and save them to post after the product is announced, but I'm really excited to see this peak at the future.

Avo, Xlaser, and several other companies teamed up to create an arts installation in a warehouse downtown. It was a cool interactive experience. In the back there was a sneak peak at a new toy from Avo. Again, I'm affraid I can't say more than that.

Avo had a demo of their Synergy capability that was just added to Titan. It allows the ability to map images across video screens, lights, and even lasers seamlessly at the same time. It was really amazing. So if you have an Avo console, download the update and check it out. Video later...

X-laser had a demo where they are showing off their Mercury capabilities. Basically it's a lot of really complex computation they have installed in the laser itself which allows you to load a fixture profile into a console and program a laser as if it was a moving light. It even can take advantage of the built in effects engine of your console. Making designing and programming lasers as easy as any mover. Very cool stuff!

Finally I hit the Chauvet booth to take a look at their new cyc light. They will sell for around $900 per unit (cheaper depending on the package discount your dealer offers). It's a great super low profile fixture using the standard Ovation LED engine. @Ford recommends placing them in a top and bottom configuration about 4' apart and about 4' from the cyc. They are also awesome for foot lights and Ford expect to see them used in fashion shows. A very impressive little fixture that everyone should seriously consider. My favorite part is a cool little built in "barn door" type shutter to trim it on one side.
IMG_20191123_174532.jpg
IMG_20191123_175023.jpg

Walking back to the hotel we passed a private room where people were enjoying a little Xbox on a huge screen!
IMG_20191123_183946.jpg

In the parking lot there was an Intel Drone Show.
Video later... Sorry I'm posting from my phone with bad wifi...
IMG_20191122_183848.jpgIMG_20191122_183827.jpg

Demonstration of the new Avo Synergy feature in Titan 12. Sorry the video quality is not the best, my phone was struggling. What you see is a set of video panels, some pixel PAR type fixtures and some strips, note how the image moves through all the fixtures smoothly.

@dvsDave shot a video of the Clay Paky demo show and posted it above. Below is the Xtylos product description that came before his video and part of the show from a different angle. Watch for those cool moving mirrors too!

Here's the part of the Intel Drone Show

Users who are viewing this thread

Back