Gaff's Disneyland Report/World of Color show

The Carousel of Progress at WDW is amazing.
It's unfortunate that so many pass by what they perceive to be a "relic" of the 60's.

I hope the future park management respects the wishes of Walt Disney and his family and keeps the show running for as long as the park exists.

Still also I have this dream at times of escaping and being the guy that changes the lamps in the "It's a small world" ride. Drive me crazy the song on while changing the lamps but for a while at least instant paradise pleasure in doing something meaningful.
From what I hear it's both a cool job and hard on the personal life. While some people have day gigs at the park, it sounds like there are more people working all night long. The park closes and the technicians come out to play. Developing new effects for shows, doing maintenance, rehearsing changes to shows, adjusting lighting, you name it. While it's a cool gig because you get to work with a huge budget it would be a rough one to have and have a family.

As for It's a Small World it's funny you bring that up. From what I hear it's one of the most dangerous places in the park to change lights. Think about it. the ceiling's 20' high. Ladders are too short and a Genie won't fit.

Hope you rode the flying Dumbo and tea cups while there - no matter the age, its' necessary
The Line for Dumbo was always at least 45 minutes long and although we wanted to do it we just couldn't stand the thought of waiting that long for a ride that basic. There were times it was longer line for Dumbo than Space Mountain, or Indian Jones! We did go on the Tea Cups however.

Last edited:
I have acquired a little new information...

Yeah, Ship you don't want to work on Small World. There is no access to anything by normal electricians. All the lighting work is done by riggers suspended from the ceiling (a lot of that goes on in Pirates too if memory serves correctly). But worse, at Christmas they put HALF MILLION lamps on the facade of that building, screwed in one at a time by hand, EVERY YEAR. You know the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over with... oh never mind. ;)

Sadly I missed the official addition of Dumbo flying above the castle to the evening fireworks show by a few days. But it's up on Youtube now forward to 0:40. Tinkerbell flies down at the start of the show (this clip at for 1:40 those who want to see the whole thing ), Dumbo flies around the castle toward the end on the same rig, then Tink flies away at the very end (4:38 in the video). That's five 7,000 watt Syncrolights blasting at Tink... and a half a dozen more on the castle for other effects.

Last edited:
Hope you rode the flying Dumbo and tea cups while there

It's time for a trip back in time to 1990. I went to Disneyland with a few friends from high school. While walking by the Dumbo ride, Dumbo crashed. The formerly flying elephant bounced a couple of times along the ground as it skidded to a halt. I don't know if anyone was hurt in the accident but Dumbo's front legs were ripped off along with his trunk and part of one ear.

As for the tea cups, I've been known to make people sick on that ride.:twisted:

I used to love spinning in circles. Three years ago at WDW, I made myself sick on the teacups.:( Gaff, as long as you're going to Cedar Point (1982 was the best summer of my life) you must also include King's Island.

The mega-parks are nice, but if you're ever in these parts, visit Kennywood Park.

Phantom's Revenge, Jack Rabbit, Racer, and Thunderbolt.

(The drive across the Rankin Bridge currently qualifies as a thrill ride, too.) ;)

Joe

Hope you rode the flying Dumbo and tea cups while there - no matter the age, its' necessary,
I ride all the thrill rides, everything extreme I'll do it. But I almost vomited on the teacups. :oops:
Nick

Umm, Nick, please see post#4 above. Also it may be noted that the article discusses WaltDisneyWorld in Orlando, FL, which is 3503 km. from Disneyland in Anaheim, CA.

I said, semi relevant, it has the word Disney in the title, which Disneyworld is is bettter?

There's only one Walt Disney World.

The others are merely Disney Lands.

Aw, I have only been to a Disney Land. I got ripped off...

There's only one Walt Disney World.
The others are merely Disney Lands.

Typical East Coast bias. We created the REAL Disneyland and shared it with you. Then you have to go off and call your version the whole world.

By the way an internet rumor (not confirmed by my source for the information above) says that in a little over 5 years they will begin construction on a third Disney park in Anaheim slightly South East of the main park in the old Strawberry fields across from the convention center. This park is rumored to be opening around 2018. Some rumors say it will be a new version of Epcot, others say it will be something completely different than anything they've ever done before.

Great pictures!
I'm a "World" man, myself. This November will be our 15th trip. Tech watching is one of my favorite passtimes. I used to tell my wife that we could retire on what Disney spends on gel in a year. I guess that won't apply anymore. I've noticed the LED's cropping up over the past few years. The super saturated colors really suit Disney, but I'll miss looking for those hidden hydraulic trees with 50 PAR cans...

Hey, I thought I'd dig up this old thread since there's now a preview of Disney's World of Color. Looks pretty cool, I hope I can make it out this summer to check it out.

Disney's World of Color

Absolutely amazing. Not just lighting related.

They're using MA2 as well, with 'moving head' water jets which have RGB LEDs in them (focused at about 3 degrees to individually light the jet). The main screen requires 12 double stacked Christie projectors.

Info gleaned from LightNetwork and MiceChat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Disney's World of Color

Thats pretty awesome! I saw the GMA2 in the videos, that is pretty awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back