Gaff's LDI 2021 Report

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I'm at LDI and I'll be posting updates here about my experiences.

My first reaction... This is a SMALL show. Many major companies are not here and those who are, are scaled way down.

I walked in and found a discussion from NFP about safety and liability. They hit on Rust, Covid, Astroworld, and more. A really fascinating discussion. Did you know ESTA now has crowd management standards? You could potentially be sued for not addressing them... On my agenda for Monday, study them. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...e2fe6ae9a24/1596473447880/ANSI+ES1.9-2020.pdf

There's a Tesla coil playing music on the ceiling of the hall! More on that later.

Here's a few minutes of the laser show in the Pangolin booth. Their sales pitch is that lighting companies have been trying to reproduce what lasers can do for years. Their new laser system now produces lighting style effects.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The booth stealing the show this year is Teslacoil.com every hour they play a different song. I'll try to catch several of them.
(Sorry @What Rigger? I missed Thunderstruck earlier.)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The vibe of the show is interesting. I overheard the last sentence of two random guys talking... "Alright let's go see if we can sign a deal"... And the walked away with purpose. It's a small gathering, but people are excited and eager. One of my friends said, that normally people walk up and just graze, but they are seeing a lot of people coming up to the booth ready to purchase.

Here's a cool product. Mycasebuilder.com Custom built foam cases fitted to whatever you want. Log in, upload your specs and they make a pelican style case fitted to whatever gear you want to haul. Build quality looks excellent.

PXL_20211119_215347312.MP.jpg and a coupon...
edited_PXL_20211119_215354772.jpg

Our friends over at Gig-gear.com have some cool new things
This is a small card on a lanyard that slips inside your phone case. When put together it gives your phone drop protection. There's an easy snap device to make it removable.

PXL_20211120_003432998.jpg
PXL_20211120_003447081.jpg

They also have a high vis version of their "two hand touch" tablet support device out.
PXL_20211120_003523542.jpg

Got a good look at the Chauvet Colorstrike M.

Amazingly bright, nice color some really cool pixel mapping capabilities. Here are the specs.
PXL_20211120_192345935.jpg
And here's a stack of them. Note the color was a lot more saturated in real life, the intensity was too much for my camera.
PXL_20211120_192409832.jpg

Well the show is done and I'm heading home. It was an interesting show. There were some great moments of hope that felt like the industry is truly coming back but a lot of frustration as well. Dealers reported it was small but lots of customers who were there to purchase. But I saw a lot of people sitting in empty booths watching their money slowly burn. Conference attendees reported that they still had good experiences in the conference sessions despite the small exhibit hall size.

The highlight of my show was getting invited to attend a dress rehearsal for Cirque: Ka. It opens next week and they are running friends and family rehearsals right now. That was a real treat. It was thrilling to be in a theater seeing a great show again. The audience was all people who either have a connection to and love of the show or someone performing. It was an amazingly excited croud, cheering for their family members and holding up signs during curtain call. We are getting back to work friends!

28c196fe15c93327f9099cc25edf9b9af14da5b5-14.jpg

I can 110% recommend the folks at MyCaseBuilder's many of the pre-built A/V cases you see are custom fabricated from our rental inventory as we work to change over our entire case fleet to use their inserts and or cases. We had hoped to join them for several of these shows, but unfortunately are still under travel restrictions. Sad to miss out on the show, but glad to see some partners work out there! Thanks for the play by play @gafftaper!

I was feeling a little fomo seeing everyone post there, but I a comment I saw made me feel not as bad "It's telling when more people are posting photos of food than lights"
Yeah, sadly there really wasn't THAT much to see... Except for the Tesla Coil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back