Gaff's thoughts from the show floor

Let's see if we can get Dave to post a picture of the cool shirt he got from ZFX (but it wasn't available to everyone).

It's got to be of questionable taste, if their recent trend is being followed (please Odin, let it be true!). :twisted:

It's got to be of questionable taste, if their recent trend is being followed (please Odin, let it be true!). :twisted:

uploadfromtaptalk1351048998704.jpg

Now, you have to have seen someone from zfx to fully appreciate the twisted humor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think glorious is a bit overstating it. Especially when you consider that I can also be seen filming in this picture, but I'm smart enough to sit down and do it. ;)

But, we can still blame you for the economy.

7964-gaffs-thoughts-show-floor-mr.economy_captioned.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(and as an aside, the stage really was quite nice)

Attachments

• Mr.Economy_captioned.jpg
    Mr.Economy_captioned.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I worked with one of those Utili-kilt wearing LD's once. As TD, I kindly required him to wear the modesty flap when in the Genie lift.

But, we can still blame you for the economy.

7964-gaffs-thoughts-show-floor-mr.economy_captioned.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(and as an aside, the stage really was quite nice)

Ahhh! :shock: The great Gafftaper ...unmasked! :neutral::shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh! :shock: The great Gafftaper ...unmasked! :neutral::shifty:

I'm still holding out to see if Derekleffew and Ship look how I imagine.

Gafftaper, is that Toby from The Office that you're with ;-)

Last edited:
The effects of the economy on the dealers was VERY clear. Many people had significantly smaller booths than in previous years and the cool factor of publicly available swag was significantly reduced.

I agree with Gaff as this year the show was quite reduced. I have been to LDI every year for the last 8 or 9 years. This year was the worst Ive seen yet. I went to the meeting with LVCC, Live Design International (LDI), GES and IATSE. We expressed our concerns with the show and as an exhibitor our financial impact. This year the union was obviously hurting as they did not let anyone touch anything above shoulder height and did not allow any assembly of anything. Now, in case you dont know, we pay a rate of $102.50 per worker/per hour, of which they get just under $25.00 of that. Booths like Martin, Clay Paky, ROBE, ETC, and Chauvet have BIG booths. Load in was Monday and we ended up needing 4-6 union workers 10 hours a day for 4 days. BTW Time and a half after 8 hours, which is only seven because of an hour lunch... By the end of the show we were in over 175k. Thats a lot of lights to sell to break even. Overall we came out with some reduced rates and a discounts next year ( In Las Vegas again) so I guess it worked out. If anyone couldn't attend and would like some swag, PM me and Ill see what I can do.

I agree with Gaff as this year the show was quite reduced. I have been to LDI every year for the last 8 or 9 years. This year was the worst Ive seen yet. I went to the meeting with LVCC, Live Design International (LDI), GES and IATSE. We expressed our concerns with the show and as an exhibitor our financial impact. This year the union was obviously hurting as they did not let anyone touch anything above shoulder height and did not allow any assembly of anything. Now, in case you dont know, we pay a rate of $102.50 per worker/per hour, of which they get just under $25.00 of that. Booths like Martin, Clay Paky, ROBE, ETC, and Chauvet have BIG booths. Load in was Monday and we ended up needing 4-6 union workers 10 hours a day for 4 days. BTW Time and a half after 8 hours, which is only seven because of an hour lunch... By the end of the show we were in over 175k. Thats a lot of lights to sell to break even. Overall we came out with some reduced rates and a discounts next year ( In Las Vegas again) so I guess it worked out. If anyone couldn't attend and would like some swag, PM me and Ill see what I can do.

Fascinating difference of opinions. To my eye the show floor looked bigger than LDI of two years ago. Looking at the exhibitor list it looks to me like the 2001 LDI had around 250 exhibitors, and the 2012 had around 350.

I thought the 2008 show, in the long and narrow South Hall, was the smallest I'd ever seen.
Attendance was "13,500, up 8% from the last Las Vegas show in 2006."

2010 was in the Central Hall, and I thought larger than this year's.
"In 2010, LDI had over 9,000 professionals in attendance (attendees only)."

Perhaps the North Hall's lower ceiling, and lack of mega-booths, contributed. I don't think ANY exhibitor had a larger booth this time than in 2010.
"Over 8,000 attendees working in theater, concerts, houses of worship, corporate presentations, clubs, theme parks, and any other live venue come to LDI [2012] ..."

Perhaps the North Hall's lower ceiling, and lack of mega-booths, contributed. I don't think ANY exhibitor had a larger booth this time than in 2010.

I know Robe had a larger booth this year than last year, but yeah, most companies were smaller. Solaris, Total Structures and zfx come to mind (although zfx didn't do their usual 3d flying rig because they didn't have a rig available because they are so busy... which is a good thing)

I'd like to mention the LED S4 Thumb drive is available for $7.75 through the haberdashery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back