Gaff's USITT report

Had an awesome time on the tour of ZFX today.

They have this insane collection of true master craftsmen building things by hand with great old tools made the right way and designed to last forever. Their lathe was made in 1942, their table saw was from the 50's, their welding table is about 100 years old made during WWI as part of the material they used to weld shops together. View attachment 17727

The founder Robert Dean has a collection of old chain motors, hoists, and rigging gear:
View attachment 17728 View attachment 17729
View attachment 17730
View attachment 17731

We also went into their dojo and watched a flying demo.
View attachment 17732

Every rigger I know has a passion about work ethics. Doing things the right way. Focus. Intensity. I was amazed to see that same love and passion obviously on display in every department of the company. From welding to the stitches in the harness, the intense passion for doing it correctly in every sense is on display all over that building.
The open hooks on the antique collection instantly made me go "EEEK!" until I reminded myself "Hey dummy, it's an ANTIQUE collection!" (Why couldn't I be smart instead of good looking?)

The open hooks on the antique collection instantly made me go "EEEK!" until I reminded myself "Hey dummy, it's an ANTIQUE collection!" (Why couldn't I be smart instead of good looking?)
It was definitely from back in the day.

Another great show in the books. If you are thinking about attending USITT start saving your money and do it next year in Houston.

If you are a recent graduate, or about to graduate get your resume together and come to USITT and apply for work. If you are considering grad school USITT has all the best programs. Working on expanding your skills? Learning a new console? The list of things you can learn goes on and on. So start planning for April 1st-4th 2020 in Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back