Galvanized roofing too pretty

Make sure your Tetanus shot is up to date!

That should be a normal part of life for anyone who works in a theater shop. I get mine updated about every 5 years just for kicks.

Make sure your Tetanus shot is up to date!

Just as an FYI and perhaps just an interesting thing. Tetanus is a reaction to neurotoxin produced by the bacterium C.tetani that lives primarily in birds butts. Many people mistakenly believe you can get Tetanus, or Lockjaw from merely being cut by a rusty metal item, which is not true, and what made me think of this posting. You could receive Tetanus from a perfectly clean piece of metal or wood if it had been exposed to Avian scat. Pigeons are one of the worst carriers, from what I understand, and that is another good reason for them to be wiped from the face of the Earth. < or maybe just controlled a little better?> Tetanus also usually only result from a deep wound or puncture, since puncture are extremely common when one is a Carpenter < See: Wood Butcher> it is especially important for us to keep up on Tetanus Vaccinations, as you may never know how or where a piece of wood was stored prior to you getting that splinter.
Now you know.
And knowing is half the battle.

Last edited:
Just as an FYI and perhaps just an interesting thing. Tetanus is a reaction to neurotoxin produced by the bacterium C.tetani that lives primarily in birds butts. Many people mistakenly believe you can get Tetanus, or Lockjaw from merely being cut by a rusty metal item, which is not true, and what made me think of this posting. You could receive Tetanus from a perfectly clean piece of metal or wood if it had been exposed to Avian scat. Pigeons are one of the worst carriers, from what I understand, and that is another good reason for them to be wiped from the face of the Earth. < or maybe just controlled a little better?> Tetanus also usually only result from a deep wound or puncture, since puncture are extremely common when one is a Carpenter < See: Wood Butcher> it is especially important for us to keep up on Tetanus Vaccinations, as you may never know how or where a piece of wood was stored prior to you getting that splinter.
Now you know.
And knowing is half the battle.

I don't know why but the end of this post reminded me of the episode of Family Guy where the ending ends with the family giving tid bits of info with the "The More You Know" thing flashing above their heads.....random.

BECAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

anyways back on topic...

The bleach method should be fine and any zinc contaminates should be filtered out at the waste water treatment plant also since zinc is another common substance found in waste water. Zinc is also fairly harmless which is why it is used often outdoors as sacrificial anodes on boats and in the paint on bridges. Most of the thick industrial paint you see on bridges and other outdoor structures is Zinc based.

For those who are used to buying their wood inside a large orange box store: The wood you purchased, although warm and dry now, has been stored outside for extensive periods of time before it got to you. It probably sits outside in a lumber yard uncovered for a while. It gets covered and loaded on a truck, then a train, shipped to your area, then trucked again probably several times before ending up at your store. Although the covering is probably something waterproof like Tyvek, it's usually thrown on in sort of a haphazard way, and by the time it actually gets to the orange box it's probably got several holes, cuts, or pieces missing from all the forklift, train, and truck interaction along the way.

If you buy your wood at lumber yard, like I do, that cover of Tyvek gets slit open and used as a loose tarp to sort of cover the wood while it sits outside waiting for you to buy it. Either way there is a LOT of oportunity for the tetanus to get on the wood.

--------------------------------------------------------
Van your areas of specialty knowledge are fascinating. For those new to the booth send Van your questions about:
Adhesives
Scenic Design
Sketchup
Building a Revolve
World Religions and Philosophy
Classic VW's
Converting swimming pools to theaters
Converting Apple computers to boat anchors
and now to that list we add Avian scat
:mrgreen:

Van your areas of specialty knowledge are fascinating. For those new to the booth send Van your questions about:
Adhesives
Scenic Design
Sketchup
Building a Revolve
Classic VW's

I am Humbled by your recognition,
Remeber I am nothing if not a font of useless information.

< now If I could only learn how to speel rite then I'd win over Derek too.> :twisted:

Vinegar Has always worked well for my Painter, If you dont find what you are looking for.

For those who are used to buying their wood inside a large orange box store: The wood you purchased, although warm and dry now, has been stored outside for extensive periods of time before it got to you. It probably sits outside in a lumber yard uncovered for a while. It gets covered and loaded on a truck, then a train, shipped to your area, then trucked again probably several times before ending up at your store. Although the covering is probably something waterproof like Tyvek, it's usually thrown on in sort of a haphazard way, and by the time it actually gets to the orange box it's probably got several holes, cuts, or pieces missing from all the forklift, train, and truck interaction along the way.

If you buy your wood at lumber yard, like I do, that cover of Tyvek gets slit open and used as a loose tarp to sort of cover the wood while it sits outside waiting for you to buy it. Either way there is a LOT of oportunity for the tetanus to get on the wood.

--------------------------------------------------------
Adhesives
Scenic Design
Sketchup
Building a Revolve
Classic VW's

Not only that, I have seen birds in my Blue box store several times. Never really see the result of them relieving themselves on lumber or corrugated roofing materials but it could happen.

Not only that, I have seen birds in my Blue box store several times. Never really see the result of them relieving themselves on lumber or corrugated roofing materials but it could happen.

That's true. They usually over in the garden area near the bird seed but yes they do get into the rest of the store as well... which brings up the point that the bacteria could be anywhere in the store. :shock:

We have a regional chain of grocery, clothing, and household needs stores around here (sort of like the super Walmarts). They build really big stores with tall ceilings. On more than one occasion I've seen birds in these stores. The bacteria could be anywhere. Everyone sleep well tonight... and get your tetanus shot updated soon.

That's true. They usually over in the garden area near the bird seed but yes they do get into the rest of the store as well... which brings up the point that the bacteria could be anywhere in the store. :shock:

We have a regional chain of grocery, clothing, and household needs stores around here (sort of like the super Walmarts). They build really big stores with tall ceilings. On more than one occasion I've seen birds in these stores. The bacteria could be anywhere. Everyone sleep well tonight... and get your tetanus shot updated soon.

This sounds like a needed visit by two teenage boys with Red Rider BB guns!

Well project complete. I found some new galvanized roofing that wasn't the super shiny metal flashing sort of look, it's more of a drab galvanized nail like look. I got two can's of texture spray paint, the kind with the little lumps in it, in a light rust color and a dark brown. Sprayed the sucker down very carefully... really light layer with occasional dark spots. Then I hit the bottom edge with a can of "mossy rock" texture spray paint to make the edges a little dark and moldy looking in spots. Took me 5 minutes to spray 9 panels. It's beautiful under stage light.

I'll post pictures in a few days when I get a chance to take some. We open Thursday so I'm really busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back