GAM Cookie

carsonld

I was looking online at GAM and saw something called the GAM Cookie which looks like this:
9322-gam-cookie-gam-cookie-003.png
GAM-cookie-002.png
I was wondering if anyone has tried putting these into a scoop light? If so did it work out?

Attachments

• GAM-cookie-003.png
    GAM-cookie-003.png
    380.5 KB · Views: 423
Have not played with it, but I would be extremely surprised if you got any interesting shadows from putting one of the in a scoop.

You get shadows in one of two ways.

You have a 'somewhat' point source of light and you put a pattern in front of it to cast a shadow. The closer to a point source / further from the light / shorter the distance from the pattern to the surface you are lighting, the sharper the shadow.

You have a pattern with light coming through it and lenses to project the image ( dark pattern, bright light) onto a surface. In this mode the location of the pattern is fixed between the lamp and lens, and the sharpness is controlled by how you focus the lens.

If you are thinking of putting one of these in a scoop instead of color, you will find that the light source is not enough of a point source as it bounces off of the reflector in a wide mush of light.

Have not played with it, but I would be extremely surprised if you got any interesting shadows from putting one of the in a scoop.

You get shadows in one of two ways.

You have a 'somewhat' point source of light and you put a pattern in front of it to cast a shadow. The closer to a point source / further from the light / shorter the distance from the pattern to the surface you are lighting, the sharper the shadow.

You have a pattern with light coming through it and lenses to project the image ( dark pattern, bright light) onto a surface. In this mode the location of the pattern is fixed between the lamp and lens, and the sharpness is controlled by how you focus the lens.

If you are thinking of putting one of these in a scoop instead of color, you will find that the light source is not enough of a point source as it bounces off of the reflector in a wide mush of light.

Well I think I am just going to stick to usring gobos :)

It may have some effectiveness with a scoop, but one would likely have better results with a clear lamp rather than a frosted one.

This is just one more of those weird things the guys out west throw into their grip trucks. It is something that is probably incredibly useful to them... but useless in a live venue.

I've seen these used often in film shoots where dimming wasn't available and the fixtures are all high wattage wash units. I can't say I've used one in theatre or live events. I couldn't see putting these physically into a scoop, rather on a stand in front of the scoop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back