Gam Lampcheck

dj_illusions

Hi Yall....

Was looking at the Gam Website and came accross the Gam Lamp Check device.

I have been after this sort of thing for ages, however havent had any luck trying to find one with an australian plug on it :(

Was just wondering if anyone knew how you make these devices... or anyone over this way know where id be able to pick one up?

Hi Jeremy,

If I understand this units function correctly you can pick up an Australian version made by Austral from Bunnings/Hardware House.

It is a grey unit that looks like a standard 3pin plug but with a flat top into which 3 bezels are set (red/green/yellow). If the red and green come on you have correct polarity and an earth. if any other combination lights up you have a problem. It is easy to read and the unit has the info stamped onto it.

I have one in my tool kit and it gets used often. I can't recall what it cost me but it was not much more than $10 or so. I am actually thinking of getting another one and cracking it open to see how it works. The aim then would be to build the test function into my distros/dimmers.

Let me know if you can't see any at you hardware/electrical outlet and I'll send one your way.

Cheers,

Hey Mayhem...

Good old bunnings, they have become like the new version corner store... seem to be everywhere now!

I will scoot down there tomorrow and see if I can dig one up =)

USITT tech notes from about 1987 had a writeup of how to make this. Might be on their website http://www.theatrecrafts.com/index.shtml think that's the link. Otherwise DMX Tools or other techno wizzards should be able to explain how to hook one up. Just a question of some LED lights and resistors I think. You can also look in technotes on how to make a Socopex Gernade and other testers. Just a question of scaling down the amount of pins.

Otherwise for cable, you could take a mic cable's tester gizzard and install it into a cable tester as long as you fuse it in case it's plugged into a live circuit.

Really the Gam Check, I bought one when it was still $130.00 and thought that was expensive - could kick myself for not buying them when they were $75. But the gam check has three position switch having a lamp check buzzer - simple, cable check - see the DMX tester, and a live power tester which is a little complex but not difficult.

You could also buy a Gam Check when you get here and take it apart than mount it into a box for your own type of plug. Should be very easy that's given you don't have the above home brewed testers.

Thanks for your help ship...

I took mayhems suggestion and got down ot bunnings, after a discussion with one of the staff members (thik as mud) I was finally able to find one in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back