Control/Dimming Gateways and Opto Splitters

In simple terms a gateway, aka node, is connected by a local area network, probably with a switch, and the device outputs DMX. It can handle many universes of DMX . An opto splitter simply splits one universe into two or more DMX outputs with same universe.

I haven't designed an opto splitter into a system in quite a while because of the need for multiple universes.

You'll get many more longer answers.

An Opto splitter takes a single DMX signal (universe) and splits it to multiple outputs. It also optically isolates the signal. A gateway takes a network signal like SACN and converts that into DMX outputs, with the ability to assign one output to universe one, output two to universe 4, so on and so on. This requires your lighting console to output via the SACN protocol using network cables.

or what Bill said as I was typing this.

An Opto splitter takes a single DMX signal (universe) and splits it to multiple outputs. It also optically isolates the signal. A gateway takes a network signal like SACN and converts that into DMX outputs, with the ability to assign one output to universe one, output two to universe 4, so on and so on. This requires your lighting console to output via the SACN protocol using network cables.

or what Bill said as I was typing this.
Or one of a number of other network protocols.

To answer the second half of the question, at this point I would opt for network distribution over DMX opto's in almost all situations. If buying new the price per port is about equal and the flexibility is much higher. Opto's are much more KISS and one less thing to understand/troubleshoot (they are very much plug and play) if that is appealing for your usage,

...and what would you recommend for an all intelligent* fixture rig of about 120 fixtures?
Let's say each light uses 20 addresses. That's five universes. I'd be much more concerned with how to distribute those five across all the different locations (via nodes), rather than distributing one DMX universe (opto-splitter).

Sometimes one needs both, but in this case I'd drop one node at each location, and probably put each location on a unique universe. Need a centrally-located ethernet switch with an output homerun to each location, and you're done.

*I want obedient lights, not intelligent lights. I'll do the thinking, thank you.

*I want obedient lights, not intelligent lights. I'll do the thinking, thank you.

If lights were intelligent, they'd fix themselves. Or at least they'd tell you they were about to fail.

Let's say each light uses 20 addresses. That's five universes. I'd be much more concerned with how to distribute those five across all the different locations (via nodes), rather than distributing one DMX universe (opto-splitter).

Sometimes one needs both, but in this case I'd drop one node at each location, and probably put each location on a unique universe. Need a centrally-located ethernet switch with an output homerun to each location, and you're done.

It’s remarkable how you can eat up a universe. I’ve got Elation LED wash heads and profile units use 31 and 35 addresses respectively. A profile with shutters is a lot of addresses. We stopped using splitters as we started doing a universe to 1 or maybe 2 electrics tops. Besides address hogs, if the LD wants to add a unit or 2 you need the headroom on the data line. When the consultant specified 28 ETC 1 & 2 port nodes for the new building, I laughed at the idea. Well, I used 26 across 2 spaces in February.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back