G'day from down under

NZM

I'm obviously new here, but my grey hair tells I am not new to many aspects of sound, lighting, theatre (yes, I spell it the English way :p ) etc.

I built my first mixer back in the mid 1980s (18 inputs, 8 groups) and eventually sold that to put down a deposit on a house. I studied electrical engineering (B-Eng in Electronics and Communication), where my final thesis for my bachelor degree was titled "Remote Digital Control of Audio Signals". Of course this was long before digital consoles were a reality.

I now work in IT (as my day job for my income) and sound/tech production is a hobby. I am spoiled with the gear I get to play with now. For musical theatre I have a Yamaha LS932 plus MY16-AT and adding a few Behringer ADA8000 for some extra channels. We have 16 Mipro ACT707TM kits and 11 EV RE2 kits. Much of the theatre work is with kids aged 6 to 18 years, though we do a few shows with slightly older casts such as a recent season of Les Miserables where some of the "graduated" kids came back, up to about 25 years of age.

My "home" venue is where I am really spoiled. We have a pair of Midas XL8 consoles, L Acoustics Kudo line array and some other nice toys. The sound gear and setup there is great (love the XL8) and we have been concentrating on getting video and lighting up to the same standards (or at least towards the same league) as the sound system.

I stumbled across Control Booth while researching how to integrate a Clear-Com type comms system to Motorola 2-way radios. Its amazing where Google leads people these days. You even see a few questions on that topic pop up in the relevant forums shortly ;).

So I hope I can contribute some of my background in electronics and musical theatre experience (especially working with children's theatre) and continue to learn from the vast experience and knowledge here.

Welcome! Glad Google sent you our way. Looks like you have some nice toys to play with. Don't hesitate to jump in and start posting. I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

~Dave

Welcome to the Booth! You will find that we have several members from down under with whom you can commiserate.

It sounds as if your experience will fit in nicely here. If you ever have difficulty looking for something, don't hesitate to ask. We are approaching ten years as a community and have quite a diverse membership in that time period.

Happy posting!

G'day NZM,

Where abouts in oz are you? I'm up Brisbane way.

Thanks for the welcome. Certainly from my browsing around, it looks like I can both learn and contribute, so I'm looking forward to finding time to hang-out.

G'day NZM,

Where abouts in oz are you? I'm up Brisbane way.
Hi Luke, I am a banana bender too - maroon through and through. The sunshine is in liquid state this morning, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back