Gear Depreciation List?

R132

I am trying to come up with a Gear Depreciation List for my theater to let management know when our gear becomes too costly to repair/maintain vs buying new (most of it is already there.)

Does anyone out there have this already and maybe has a template I could look at? I don't know exactly where to draw the value line. We have a lot of failing equipment with little to no maintenance time scheduled and I wanted to come to management with something concrete they could understand.

Thank you

@jfleenor Except for cases where someone has a suspicious XLR to Edison adapter hiding in their inventory, does your stuff ever even break?

I get them back from gigs all the time saying they don’t work right. I plop it on the work bench and test the crap outta it and laugh everytime cause someone prolly had a bad cable but won’t admit that they never tried a different one.

We depriciate technology purhases (things that take power) in 3 years. We depreciate hard goods in 3-5 years (marley floors, curtains, etc). That being said... no one cares is something is depreciated. The only person looking at that is our accountant and he's the one who makes that determination. My inventory doesn't track depreciation. Our marley dance floor was purchased in 1991, depreciated in 1994, and still used 20-30 times a year today. I laugh every time I get the inventory list from him once a year to sign off on...

I'm with @Footer on this. Depreciation matters for accounting an asset value. It isn't really a good way to judge your repair/replace values. Your best bet is to track individual items and log repairs on them. You'll rapidly see patterns of lemon fixtures, or a fixture type that is costing more than it is making. A conventional will last as long as you want to put the effort into it, and can still get parts. Electronics are an entirely different ballgame of course, but the same rules apply.

I like my S4 fresnels well enough. However, I have the first version. I do have trouble with new people focusing them and not listening when I tell them how to focus and to be gentle and slow on the focus adjust. Blown many a lamp from a shock.

I'm with cbrandt, but it's not in communication followed. At one point on the Walking with Dinosours tour, I did a comparitive analysis of all the fixtures on the tour including especially the VL-3K and Mac 2K, and in general the VL-1KA amongst all fixtures used on the tour.

VL-1KA was a simple point - moving light fixture using a followspot designed for lamp which is fine... A normal followspot lamp of the type, was not designed for touring in rugged dssign, It was constantly going bad due to just plain dock plates and bouncing about in trucks in capsule support problems.

VL-3K was harder to figure out... It was because the Mac 2K when in shutter closed mode allowed the lamp to run in dimmed mode, the VL-3K ran at full output and as such burnt thru many more lamps and sockets. Many didn't like the Mac 2K. As the lamp buyer and bad lamp inspector... was a very stable platform very much over that of the VL-3K.

Worst case scenerieo in a different show was the origional Coemar "Power Cyc". At one point we were paying $399.00 for about (if memory serves) 3 to 9 lamps a week. Who will have thought about a lamp on dynamic truss on tour in having a burn angle of +/- 15 degree might have a problem at 45 degree say.

The idea about identifying what the troublesome fixtures are and how much it costs to maintain them is valuable ... do it with a ticketing system or at least track time and maths in excel. Track your repair time (and whether at regular or OT rates), parts, and the cost of panic swapping of instruments 5 mins before curtain. Then you can show real $$ costs to mgmt. I sold millions in hardware annually by showing owners and ceos the cost of doing nothing vs. making an upgrade choice. Often the documented repair/support costs would offset a monthly lease payment on the new gear. "Give me 5 mins and I'll explain how you can have an all new (insert system name here) for free, mr. manager".

I am trying to come up with a Gear Depreciation List for my theater to let management know when our gear becomes too costly to repair/maintain vs buying new (most of it is already there.)

Does anyone out there have this already and maybe has a template I could look at? I don't know exactly where to draw the value line. We have a lot of failing equipment with little to no maintenance time scheduled and I wanted to come to management with something concrete they could understand.

Thank you
What Footer and Ben and others have said - what it's worth on paper is irrelevant. What matters is how much value is expended to keep it working when compared to the cost replacing the item. If your time costs the employer $50/hr, how many "fix it" hours can you put into an item that costs $300 to replace? At what point is the decision made to cut the future expense and replace the item?

Tracking all expenses incurred by individual items, processes or services is the gold standard in cost accounting, but what you need to be able to show your Board is which needed items are taking up (or need to take up) valuable time assets to restore, which working items will eventually require parts that are no longer available, which items are currently out of service due to irreparable failures, etc.

Time is a big deal. Our local PAC got the City to authorize more proximity badge/IT remote locks by demonstrating how many worker-hours were used to manually unlock and relock doors for events. The expansion of the system will pay for itself in less than 2 years as the TD or event coordinator will be able to unlock/lock doors remotely and leave event staff to better assist the client or tenant.

edit ps: R132? In response to @derekleffew - Missing the 'a'? Just chillin' with the rest of the refrigerant gases? Say hi to our old buddy R12, "Freon"! :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
Janell's reply to the thread rang my Alert bell and prompted me to re-read some posts. Thanks, Ms J!

I think (look out!) that in today's work environments, whether civic, NFP, or for profit, we need a higher level of managerial scrutiny of our physical assets and other things on which money needs to be spent... And that leads up to the fab world of Cost Accounting. Very much one of those "the devil is in the details" things is what we *really* spend to do some things or to avoid doing other things.

In my earlier example of "if a unit costs $300 to replace" vs an unknown number of hours @$50/hr to maintain it, at what point do we decide to replace? What was left out earlier was the presumption that $300 reflected the total cost of replacement, not just the purchase price of a new unit. That includes purchasing overhead, receiving personnel and installation labor, any new or altered infrastructure, i.e the *full* costs. Sometimes we keep fixing old stuff because replacing the supporting infrastructure is much, much more costly or impractical. Ex. ConEd was still supplying direct current power to the Broadway theater district until the 1970s, IIRC.

In order to make those decisions, though, we need to have a defensible history and projection of costs, and those come from cost accounting.

Add to your News Years "gifting to myself" holiday list: any book with a name like "cost accounting for complete idiots". Seriously.

{optional story}
I started out as a 1 man sound company with a Ford Econoline (in a previous century, too) way overloaded with PA. I made a number of business mistakes that meant an income that would not increase and there were no funds for re-investment and upgrades. Eventually I took the first rock band out of town for a different set of misadventures (those for another time). Several acts and thousands of miles later I decided a bed that did not move was a good idea, so I doubled down on my previous and limited business and accounting classes from school, sold off most of my personal audio gear, and went about managing other people's sound & lighting shops. While I did better than some of the owners I worked for, some were teaching me tons of stuff about management of personnel and physical assets in ways that simple classroom experience did not convey. That's when the 💡 went on over my head about cost accounting. I'm not a wizard but I've read the books and work on using what I've learned. Lots of ways to lose value and money...
{/optional story}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back