Gel alternative for fresnels?

HullPro

I am looking for an alternative to using gel sheets on our 750w Altman fresnels. We are re-gelling these fixtures on a weekly basis and it's a real pain given our stage plot. Does anyone know of an alternative with a longer life?

How saturated is the gel? Who's make and #? So many options:

1) Check the focus and the seating of the lamp. The wrong lamp, improper seating or certain points in the fixtures zoom from flood to spot can create hot spots that melt or burn through gel almost instantly.

2) Use LEE high temp gel, with a heat shield, with a color extender.

3) If this is a long term or permanent installation, a colored glass or dichroic filter may be the best option.

4) Replace them with a suitable LED instrument

Also since these sound like Altman 65Q Fresnels, I always recommend upgrading them to 575 watt BTH lamps, especially if you are using them alongside Source 4's.

(Clicking on any word with a yellow dotted underline will take you straight to our wiki for more info)

There's really not much you can do, fresnels lamped that high just burn through gel quickly. Use them less or lower the intensity when you do use them, or deal with re gelling them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you're using fresnels that often, I would guess that they're being used as work light and general rehearsal lighting to some extent. Unless it's for a musical or some theatrical rehearsal, would it hurt to switch to N/C? It would give a brighter light without having to worry about gel burnout.

If you're using fresnels that often, I would guess that they're being used as work light and general rehearsal lighting to some extent. Unless it's for a musical or some theatrical rehearsal, would it hurt to switch to N/C? It would give a brighter light without having to worry about gel burnout.

And if you are using them for rehearsal and the designer is working THAT MUCH on the plot, maybe your designer should wait until tech week to gel the lights ;]

If you need to have gel loaded, look at lower saturated versions of the same color(s) and/or switching to the 575w BHT lamps would help. Heat shields, from Apollo or Lee or whatever your choice, are expensive per sheet, but the savings would be realized in extending gel life.

Another idea, check to make sure that not of the lenses are cracked. Besides a tighter (more zoomed) focus, a cracked lens will allow more head to dissipate through the front of the unit and burn or melt gel quicker than it should.

Last time I checked getting a full size dichroic glass gel replacement was possible but ran a couple hundred bucks each. So you better make sure you need them for a LONG time.

Just be Glad that you're not back in the days of "real" gel, when gel was really gelatin. In a bright musical, lavenders were replaced every night, a moody or romantic show with a lot of night scenes and all the dark or moonlight blues got replaced every day. Every gel in the show was changed on Tuesday morning, every week. We didn't think of it as a "pain", that's just the way it was.

Do you have any accessories (barn doors, tophats) in your fresnels? Sometimes, especially with certain fresnels, the addition of a tophat will cause gel to burn through much more quickly. See if you can remove this accessory. Alternatively, the addition of a color extender with the gel in the far slot should help, if you can get your hands on one.

...Sometimes, especially with certain fresnels, the addition of a tophat will cause gel to burn through much more quickly. See if you can remove this accessory. ...
OR, gaff tape the plastic color media to the front of the top hat. Which is what we used to do before color extender s were invented. Although I've never heard of an accessory causing color to fail more quickly. I have experienced Fresnels that burn color more at flood focus than at spot, I suppose as the lamp is closer to the color.

OR, gaff tape the plastic color media to the front of the top hat. Which is what we used to do before color extender s were invented. Although I've never heard of an accessory causing color to fail more quickly. I have experienced Fresnels that burn color more at flood focus than at spot, I suppose as the lamp is closer to the color.

I also have this experience, on some fresnels at full flood the colour filter is less than 3 inches from the lamp. This happens on my 1k FE fresnels with saturated blues.

Most barn doors actually act as a short color extender as well, that is unless the gel frame slot has already been mashed in when you get them from the rental shop. That way one can put heat shield in the "normal" slot and color medium in the barn door.

While I'm sure OP can appreciate the sentiments of "use the fixtures less", sometimes that's just not an option. I wish OP would chime back in with some more details.

Last edited:
...Although I've never heard of an accessory causing color to fail more quickly.

The times I've seen this have been with Altman 65Q and 165Q fresnels, which may be the ones that the OP is using. I found that I could put even high-transmission gels like L202 in a fresnel and have it last a respectable length, but as soon as I put a tophat in the fixture, the gel would burn out within a day or two. My assumption is that the tophat was preventing the heat from escaping and keeping it focused on the gel, but I never investigated further. I had the same effect with barn doors with these fixtures, but not as pronounced as with the tophats.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. This is a work in progress and the solution will most likely be a combination of the suggestions. I think some dichroic filters are in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back