Conventional Fixtures Gel colors and where to buy?

joshuashu

I am in need of some gels to tone down the white light that we use for our stage. we have par 64 cans, 16 of them. would a bastard amber or a pink work to tone it down some? Also where can i get these for a decent price? Living in a small town, they dont have much choice here and guitar center wants an arm and a Leg.

thanks

Order from any of the typical supplies such as BMI Supply or Barbizon. Typical costs are under $8/sheet. Buy a couple of sheets. Usually costs a couple of $ to ship.

Ask for a swatch deck (or buy one). Go online to Leefilters and scroll through their colors for ideas. BA, surprise pink, pale gold are a few of the good colors. I'd use some blues for contrast.

i have lowered the intensity for our worship service, but they want it to be pretty bright during the sermon, and it almost bllnding, if i lower it it stars to cause shadows on the face, and you can not see the presenter as well.

We are located in Des Moines Iowa and are rosco and Apollo dealers. Price would depend on how many sheets and how quick you need them.

i have lowered the intensity for our worship service, but they want it to be pretty bright during the sermon, and it almost bllnding, if i lower it it stars to cause shadows on the face, and you can not see the presenter as well.

Then you may want to try, as long as you're ordering anyway, getting a sheet of light diffusion. You will cut a bit of your intensity and possibly fill some shadows.

Last edited:
If you don't mind losing really tight shutter cuts

The OP stated they have 16 PAR 64's, no shutters in those instruments.

A light amber or pink should serve you well. In Roscolux, I'd recommend R33 No color Pink or R02 Bastard Amber. If you are ordering gel by the sheet, you should get 4 PAR64 (10" X 10") cuts from a single sheet of gel, so you will need 4 sheets of gel to cover all 16 fixtures.

~Dave

... we have par 64 cans, 16 of them.

When you purchase Apollo Gel from any Apollo dealer, we'll perforate it for you at no charge allowing you to tear them into PAR64 sized pieces and be done with it. No more cutting gel for you or your volunteers. It's that simple-

Apollo Design | PerfGel

Apollo PerfGel.jpg

If I had to use only one gel for a church stage I would go with either Rosco 33 No color pink/Apollo AP8550 Bit of pink OR Rosco 51 Surprise Pink/Apollo AP3200 Submissive Lavender. Rosco 02 Bastard Amber/Apollo 7050 Fatherless Amber (love the Apollo sense of humor) is a standard in theater, but a bit too dramatic for my tastes in a church. However, I suggest you buy a sheet of all three and try them out side by side on a Saturday afternoon. Have a couple people come by to discuss it with you. Have a couple people wear their Sunday best so you can see how the color effects skin and clothing tones.

Sent from my HP "Touch-Droid" using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After all the sales pitches, make sure when you begin a relationship with a dealer, ask for free stuff. They should be able to help you get free gel swatchbooks from each gel manufacturer, and they may have some throw-ins now and then to keep it interesting. Often times the gel and gobo companies will send you free gobo catalogs and posters as well as swatchbooks, so there's no harm asking for free stuff. You'll find over time what gel colors and styles work for you, and you'll never be short advice on this website.

Oh, and if you're feeling froggy, ask your lighting rep about getting a demo unit now and then - they'll work with you and maybe you can work it in for an effect, then kindly send it back.

Oh, and if you're feeling froggy, ask your lighting rep about getting a demo unit now and then - they'll work with you and maybe you can work it in for an effect, then kindly send it back.

Don't cry wolf too often, however. Dealers and manufacturers don't 'rent for free' once they discover this habit...

After all the sales pitches, make sure when you begin a relationship with a dealer, ask for free stuff. They should be able to help you get free gel swatchbooks from each gel manufacturer, and they may have some throw-ins now and then to keep it interesting. Often times the gel and gobo companies will send you free gobo catalogs and posters as well as swatchbooks, so there's no harm asking for free stuff. You'll find over time what gel colors and styles work for you, and you'll never be short advice on this website.

Your local dealer doesn't have all that stuff right inside the front door for anyone to grab and you have to ask for it? How stingy.

And once you have a design, assuming that you used Rosco products, take some pictures and share it with them and get a free mug. Supposed to be one mug per person for a limited time, but so far I'm up to four.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back