Design gel colours

al9

hey im designing my first show, and my director is wanting a cold blue for the opening scene, in which there are 3 corpses on stage and she wants it to be very morbid and as i said cold, i had a look through my apollo gel swatch, but couldnt find anything that was described as cold.. any help and/or ideas would be wonderful

thanks Al9

hey im designing my first show, and my director is wanting a cold blue for the opening scene, in which there are 3 corpses on stage and she wants it to be very morbid and as i said cold, i had a look through my apollo gel swatch, but couldnt find anything that was described as cold.. any help and/or ideas would be wonderful

thanks Al9

I recently used Rosco 81 in The Women of Lockerbie to create a very cold environment.

R68. Look at the transmission graphs behind the gel. You want a gel with a large spike in the blue column and then as little as possible of all the other colors (specifically in the red range) and then just look for the saturation you want.

Mike

Rosco 80 is a favorite choice of mine... Its very cold but also versitile enough to help with creating nice night and very pretty effects in general, especially when used a a top light and paired witha pale blue (such as a Rosco 62 or 65) from the front or gobo'ed to give a mottled look. In my mind one should always leave as many options open as possible... good luck with your first design...

I personally think I'd avoid deeply saturated blues such as R80 and R81, because being as they are such saturated colors they are very rich and deep They are considered cools in the lighting spectrum but certainly not the "cold" it sounds like you are looking for.

To me, "cold" is more a medium-saturation blue, like an AP4800 or AP4680. (I use Apollo since it's what you have) To me these seem more "crisp" in their medium range of saturation that the full blues.

To me, the deep blues are more dark/interior/night time/mystical atmospheres, whereas the medium blues are more icy, crisp and cold.

For a cold crisp back light, I like ot use APOLLO ROBIN EGG BLUE. You wou;dn't think it be a nice color, but as a back/top light it's great. If you can creat some nice shadow effects, I feel IMHO that it would add to the morbidity, may add a special or 2 or somethign super saturated , like Congo blue.

To find out the corresponding Apollo color to the Rosco Colors listed above, check out The Apollo Gel Converter

Personally, I'm partial to R80 (AP4250), mostly because I have a ton of it. I'm trying out R77 (AP4990) for the current show I'm working on, it's interesting. I haven't decided if I like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back