Gel-Cutting Tool

lieperjp

I was wondering what everyone uses to cut gels... The knife on my Leatherman works well, or I use a scissors if I only need to cut one gel. Interested in finding other tools, though, as there are times when I don't have my Leatherman or a scissors in the vicinity. I was thinking about trying the papercutters in my school's student workroom...

You need a paper cutter that can take a full sheet of gel along either dimension (so at least 2' square or larger) that does nothing except cut gel. It shouldn't be used for paper or transparencies or anything else. In my opinion, this is one of tne of the most important tools for any electrics shop.

Wow, I just must be in the dark ages with my scissors. I have never even heard of using a paper cutter. May have to look into that.

I prefer to use a paper cutter, of course that isn't always an option.

Scissors are useful, especially if you have a nice sharp pair. I have not used a rotary cutter.

A did a number on my Gerber pocket knife cutting gels. It is in need a re-sharpening and the tip got a bit rounded. If anything, I'd be using utility razor knives instead of pocket or multi-tool knives.

I'm another paper cutter vote. We made a light cart that actually has a paper cutter attached to it (it also has the gel frames sizes traced onto it so there's no miscommunication when it comes to what size to cut - they just need to know what they are gelling.) We just drag it to wherever we are working and there we are - in a pinch I will use shears, mostly just to trim though. It takes too long otherwise when you doing a bunch of one-color cuts.

Charlie

I agree with soundman. Rotary paper trimmers are safer than guillotine models, generally less expensive, and the blades are replaceable.
Different colors of tape at 6.25", 7.5", and 10" also are a big help.

Attachments

• ColorCuts.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,182
I prefer to use a paper cutter, of course that isn't always an option.
Scissors are useful, especially if you have a nice sharp pair. I have not used a rotary cutter.
A did a number on my Gerber pocket knife cutting gels. It is in need a re-sharpening and the tip got a bit rounded. If anything, I'd be using utility razor knives instead of pocket or multi-tool knives.

I lent out my gerber, someone used the scissors... to cut metal wire, repeatedly.

It don't cut good no more... :rolleyes:

I lent out my gerber, someone used the scissors... to cut metal wire, repeatedly.

It don't cut good no more... :rolleyes:
Remove the scissors, send them back to Fiskars, and they will replace them. You don't need to send in the whole multi-tool. While it's apart, it may be a good time to think about moving some of the blades around to an order that more suits your uses.

Last edited:
I like using rotary paper trimmers like this http://www.vivid-online.com/products/4675/237 better. Seems to stay sharper longer and I find it quicker.

I worked in a copy shop and used one of those almost daily. I think I'm changing my vote to one of those. Faster (if your good with it), undeniably safer, and easily changeably blade. For a final two cents make sure it's a self sharpening model. I only spent 3 months in the copy shop, but like I said used it daily often for 100+ cut jobs and never even noticed it getting dull yet alone wanted to replace the blade.

oh yah and they're lighter two (usually)

We use a large format paper cutter with a film cutting blade that works out great for us. Both were available from our office supply place. We have had the film blade for 5 years now, literally hundreds of hangs later, and it still cuts like the day we got it.

~Dave

Oh wow, I didn't know such things as film blades exist, but I bet that works awesomely.

I've always been interested with the rotary blades, I'd always think in theory they'd cut easier. Too bad; we have a chop-style one, with all the common sizes sharpied on.

Film blade? Tell me more!

On the fly I like to use my SOG's V-cutter. It's meant for seatbelts, but if you have a frame with a lot of excess, it makes life really really nice.

I'm used to the paper-guillotine-cutter w/ sharpie, and it works ok.

Gafftapegreenia, send me a pm, I might be able to fix you up, a member on here did something nice for me, I figure I should pay it forward :)

I've tried both the guillotine style and roller blade style paper cutters (I too work at an office supply store) and I have to say that the guillotine style for me is much easier to measure with (especially when the object I'm cutting is clear...) But yeah, the roller blade one is much safer!

I use a rotary fabric cutter and a carpenters square. Might be a little less expensive then a large format paper cutter. Carp square happens to be 24" X 20"

I like to use my teeth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back