Gel-Cutting Tool

Film blade? Tell me more!

Well, essentially it is the same as your standard paper cutting blade, but the actual bevel on the blad is different, more fine than a paper blade. I tried to see if our supplier had a link to it on their website, but they do not. It is just listed as an accessory or replacement item for our cutter. This type of blade would dull very quickly if used to cut actual paper, as one might guess.

~Dave

I let Apollo cut mine for me!...
Ah, but can you do 9" circles? (I'm still working on a suction cup and beam compass contraption.)

And, as long as we have an expert available here: What's your opinion on pouncing deep colors to make them last longer?

Hmmm time to resurrect an old conversation.

From reading this time capsule, I would have to say that the rotary style paper cutter is preferred to the guillotine style.

My questions is more to the size of rotary cutter. As you don't have that big open end a the bottom I am assuming that you want something with an opening larger than 24" to accommodate the size of the gel (especially if working with roles).

Will the paper cutters that advertise a 24" cut, cut it? (haha) or should I shoot for a 28 or 30" cutter to leave some space?

These things are enough of an investment that I am interested in hearing some feedback.

Many thanks!

I just use a regular carpenters square (24" X 16") and a rotary fabric cutter on a hard surface. Works great!

Someone above mentioned a seatbelt cutter, which I'm guessing is similar to this:
letter_opener.jpg
LEE and/or Rosco use to give these away at tradeshows. I've never found them to work very well, but others may have better luck with them. About $2 at any office supply store.

For those with more discretionary funds than common sense, there's GEL CUTTER .
acm_insets.jpg

Last edited:
On the fly I like to use my SOG's V-cutter. It's meant for seatbelts, but if you have a frame with a lot of excess, it makes life really really nice.

I'm used to the paper-guillotine-cutter w/ sharpie, and it works ok.

Gafftapegreenia, send me a pm, I might be able to fix you up, a member on here did something nice for me, I figure I should pay it forward :)

+1 for the SOG V-Cutter in a pinch. Then for the paper cutter, of any kind.

Someone above mentioned a seatbelt cutter, which I'm guessing is similar to this:
View attachment 3593
LEE and/or Rosco use to give these away at tradeshows. I've never found them to work very well, but others may have better luck with them. About $2 at any office supply store.

Never worked well for me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My university's theatre had a large green pad (I see one listed at craft retailers as a "rotary mat") with measured grid on top of the gel cart, with markings in white pencil (the same as you would use to mark the gels) for various gel sizes. An exacto knife was used to cut gels. We also had a paper cutter in the cart marked, but I don't think it saw nearly as much use.

Forgot to say what I do use, so here I go. I like to use a sharp cutting tool first of all. Dull blades ruin gel pretty quick. In order of preference: paper cutter (marked out or with grid), electricians scissors, normal scissors, utility knife,

I've always wanted to throw a copper pipe or conduit wheel onto a handle (think opine wheel) with a flat guide of some sort and have a surface spaced out hinged bars that could be slapped down and braked. But I've never had the time, space, or money all at once to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back