Gel Organization

DarSax

I hope this thread hasn't been made before, but the forum won't let me search for "gel" because it's too short a term. (Argh!)

Anyways, I was just wondering how all of you sort your gels? Right now in my booth (not my system) they're just kinda in one big cabinet organized by size--a pretty ineffective system. So far I've thought of ordinary folders with the gel names/numbers on the outside...but do you guys have any different/more innovative ideas?

curse you radman and your addition of an "s!"

No really, thanks tons, the 2nd thread is perfect.

What we do is we take and put our gel in a large file cabnet. Then we sort it by the Gel number. Each gel number gets it own folder. with the big sheet we put that at the bottom of the cabnet.

GRCHSCAW said:
What we do is we take and put our gel in a large file cabnet. Then we sort it by the Gel number. Each gel number gets it own folder. with the big sheet we put that at the bottom of the cabnet.

Thats how we do ours, too. I think its a pretty efficient system.

i have seen people use expandable document holders( the ones that have letters A-Z) one for each color, blue, red, green, etc.

Now where did I put my flamethrower...

I've got mine right here, and I just might "fire it up!"

The point is that we'd like you to post in one of the old threads, instead of continuing this one if someone digs up an applicable old thread.

Thanks!

I would prefer to see all discussion on a given topic consolidated. It makes it much easier to find the information when I want it at a later date. I don't believe I am alone in thinking this. That is why some of us are getting a little bit annoyed with the posting of information in new threads when there are existing threads on that topic and their presence has been made public. We don't really want to flame people, but it is getting a little annoying.

Last edited:
Gahh, is it so hard to read the last post before you post (which in this case would have lead four or so people to have posted in a different thread)

At any rate, you're also making me look stupider by constantly bringing to attention my blatant klutziness in forum searching. :cry:

Final note on my part: looks like accordian folders for me. ~fin

I find it easiest is for each gel cut SIZE to have it's own drawer, then sorted by gel NUMBER each in it's own folder. Make sure to mark your gel # in white grease pencil in the CENTER of the gel with an "x" or the manufacturer intial before the number ("g" for Gam, "r" for Rosco) so you can tell what the number actually is (cause you can't mistake "R66" for "99" if you only marked the number). Putting the number in the center of the gel makes it easy to find when it's in the gel frame (unlike putting the number on the corner where it'll be covered up). You might not want to mark your gel number in the center of it if it'll be in a light that the audience will notice (FOH Par wash over the audience). But if you've been in the buisness as long as me, you'll be able to rattle off the name, gel # and transmission rate just by looking at it (extra points if you can tell what show some of the colors first appeared on like 'Billington Pink')

Usually all you have to do with gel (as a theater i have worked in does) is that you keep gels in their full size sheet/roll form so they still have their ID labels and store precut gels in a cabinet that has an index tab label for every color they have ( which is practically every single one from rosco and lee) other wise you can use those document folders with tabs and label each tab with what color it contains. Also label each gel cut in the lower or upper corner with it's ID from the swatch book (eg R-80) so if the folder is to have all the gels fall out you can easily reclassify them

GRCHSCAW said:
wow thats nice, all we have is a cardboard box. :rolleyes:

YHStechjordan said:
wow thats nice, all we have is a cardboard box. :rolleyes:

You should be able to build one fairly cheaply. Make the frame out of 1/2" plywood (get scraps from the woodshop or wherever) build a frame that has internal dimensions about 1" bigger than a full sheet. Then cut a groove in the interior sides and back for shelf slots. Use masonite for the shelves. In the end it would look something like this http://www.anytimeproducts.com/meg/flat_filing_stack_trays.htm Make a couple of them, so they stack, put casters on the bottom one.

For cut gels, we use record cases (i.e., cases for 12" vinyl) and separate them by #, which is written on the gel and store each in file folders from the office supply store. The case has to be a little more rugged since we take it to show site frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back