Gel!

It's still an uphill battle for me to teach people to write the color# in white china marker off center of the 9" round SuperTrouper cut, and then write the frame number on gaffter's tape used to tape over the paper fasteners (brads) to hold the two parts of the frame together. Luckily that's all the color I usually have to deal with. But I prefer my cuts for conventionals labeled in the lower right-hand corner, Sharpie or grease pencil, and one brad in the upper left hand corner. Unless it's a one-off, then no brads.

I prefer my gel labeled... let's start at that. :rolleyes:

You bet ya! Worst is not labeling it in any way.

I take the opposing view to Footer of not seeing the color number. When I get board with the show, I tend to look about. Providing the color choice gives me something to do.

As a perhaps unprofessional or less organized presentation, it is most probably best to label the gel at the center so as to ensure the proper choices are in the right fixtures, this especially if a gel change during the show is needed. For professional shows, gel color probably is not needed in always getting it right or at least it being more easy to note, plus the customer there for the show without needing to wonder about what them numbers are about. Also in a gel file, it is easier to read a gel in the corner than at the center.

Can always also label the gel frame also if doing a gel swap. Paper brads to hold the gel frame together, gaff tape or masking tape label if not grease pencil label on the gel frame with gel already installed. Good 3:1 paint scraping tool for removing potentially burned on tape than fresh paint that no doubt will normally be needed at times anyway. Otherwise same corner marked means same corner used thus not needing to re-paint. Another option would be to use high temperature fiberglass electrical tape in place of masking or gaff tape. This in addition to Gam Tac Tape. Neither would leave a resudue.

On burning thru... Totally disagree that this observation of grease pencil or anything else at the center of the gel causes it to burn thru faster. (Perhaps a unbiased experiment is needed here but I have never known or heard of any such thing that was more than gee, dark gel type thing and not related to the writing.) On absorption of heat, yes correct but not as much a factor given line width. See below with the WD-40 frosted donut which is a legend in the industry for technique.

On changing the gel, I would first pull my fixture/gel sheet to tell me what gel without bothering to look, such numbers up in a corner but still seen don’t seem to be really needed if you do you paperwork. Often I’ll also put such coloring on my Magic Sheet/quick plot so as to look at the 8.5x11 page which is not persay to scale but shows me fixture location thus also with gel number.

Kind of disagree with SerraAva but to each their own opinion. I would say that it is time to try the WD-40 at the center of a frosted gel in testing that assumption. This if not back up your statement with proven experiment including equally bench focused fixtures, than afterwards repeating it and swapping the gel between fixtures. I very much seriously doubt that you will find a difference but am open minded in changing longstanding tradition which started back with low temperature gel and would not be the current standard or at least one of them had it adversely effected the gel. Line weight of a china marker is not sufficient in my opinion.

On the other hand, when not labeling at the center - easier to smear or wipe off by accident, when cutting one gel down in size, a corner marking is very much superior in not having to re-label a gel or have a gel with all sorts of writing on it. This corner technique is how I tend to label my own gel. Not disputing corner marking, just it burning thru faster. On the other hand, Pie4Weebl’s small writing could potentially create that hot spot, so if doing the experiment, one would hope two different techniques for writing it in and testing.

Sharpee, paint marker, china marker... depends on the gel color for me - this given many colors available for each. China marker/grease pencil the most common but others also work, though ink does fade in high temp faster than the grease pencil - especially if at the center of the gel.

Also disagree with gafftapegreenia, frosted gel is way too white to be using a white china marker on. The other color of china marker should at least be an option for light gels and frosted gels.

Last edited:
Sorry Ship. I have indeed seen gel burn through faster with labeling in the center, especially with a sharpie. I saw the gel melt and burn around the write first, in the pattern in which the gel was labeled. China Pencil takes a little longer because white reflects light, black absorbs. It does burn through faster with a China Pencil however.

Something else to think about, although I doubt it has much effect. By labeling gel in the center, you block some of the light traveling through the gel. So you could in fact lower the output of the light by labeling in the center. I doubt it is noticeable expect on a light meter, but I find myself needing to squeeze every bit of output out of my fixtures sometimes.

I think it all depends on where you work. I work on the east coast. In college I lableed off to the sides, simply because my crew needed to be able to identify the gel, not my audeince members. We always had time to take down the gel if something seemed wrong and When I was working summer stock up North, everybody labled in the center of the gel. Of course we had to work much faster up there than we did in College, so if you could quickly identify a gel then all the better for you. When I worked farther down south in Florida was where I first ran into Sharpies on gel, but in this case it was always to the side since sharpies do burn out a gel. I have no clue how things are handled out west, but I know that all Master Electricians ( espeiclly the text book ones) handle each situation diffrently.

I have to agree with everyone who has stated that proper paperwork eliminates most of this problem, save certain specific situations. Since I am able to identify any gel I need to with my paperwork, I can then focus on what labeling system is most convenient in other areas. This is corner labeling for me. That way the label is clearly visible when filed.

Alright you guys have successfully convinced me to label in the corners under the frame. I don't recall where I heard it but recently I was working in a theatre when someone told me it's easier to identify the gels if it was written in the middle. I recall questioning them about it thinking there MUST be some sort of side effects to it but since then I've been labeling it in the middle. I'm now gonna change my ways. ;)

I know that this is an old thread, but I just found the perfect example as to why you should not label your gels with the number through the center of the frame. Below is a photo taken while we where focusing the last show. This cut of G845 was seconds from going bonanza and you can see that it started right on the 4 of G845:
IMG_0026.JPG
So, as this was a lesson to my crew, so should it be a lesson to you.

going bonanza

I have never heard that phrase, but immediatly remembered the credits from the TV show, of the map going up in flames.

Now that show ran till '73, so nobody under the age of 40 will remember it and thus has a clue what it means, or do they ?.

Steve B.

Thanks for the bump, interesting read.

I just had this conversation a few days ago.

I mark my gel on the bottom right corner, with a china pen. I hate how it looks with it written on the middle. If I have time I also mark sheets in the bottom right corner, and top left so it will always be easy to see on the bottom right corner.

I have always wondered if it caused the gel to burn through faster.

I just had to label a bunch of gel for a community theater, and could only find a silver sharpie. I really liked how it looked, but at my theater I'm gonna stay with a white china pen. I am gonna find a red china pen for the light gels.

Anyone ever try to mark on Rosco's heat shield? I cant use my white china pen, cause its clear. Black sharpie wont stick to it.

For diffusions and other clear media we use red china markers.

We use a china marker near the edge of the gel, but not so close that it's not viewable when it's loaded. As for being able to see the number from the audience, we never have lights close enough for that, unless someone audience member happened to be Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back