Gelatran

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
A defunct line of color media (contemporary and competitor to Roscolux) manufactured by Berkey-Colortran. Introduced in 1969, it was the first polyester-based color media. When it was discontinued in the late 1980s, Joe Tawil of GAM Products, who had also originally developed Gelatran, remade most of the colors as today's GAMcolor.

From http://livedesignonline.com/mag/show_business_joe_tawil/ :
Tawil: I pioneered the first deep-dyed polyesters at Colortran, called Gelatran. Before that, you had acetate and you had gels. But we were now making very small, high-intensity tungsten halogen light fixtures that disintegrated the gels. I came across the dyed polyester and thought that we could create a product. It was far more expensive; the original Gelatran was $4 a sheet, when Cinemoid was only 75 cents and gel was 35 cents. Most designers said they would not use it--they all said it was too expensive. I pointed out that they had no choice, because they had all these new tungsten-halogen lights and the other stuff wasn't working. About a year after we first introduced the first deep-dyed polyester color filters, Jules Fisher, who said he'd never use it on Broadway, used it on a show. He said, "We figured out the cost of bringing in an electrics crew for a gel change, and if we can go from a three-week to a six-week cycle, we'll pay for the gel in the first gel change. And if the show runs, we're saving money forever after." Designers started to use it. But then I left Colortran and they sold it. Years went by and I thought, this is too good a product to let it die. So in 1987, we reintroduced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back