Generating MIDI timecode

So I am trying to do a thing where I generate MIDI time code on one PC, and use it to control a video PC and a lighting console in order to sync up the video and the lighting cues.
I've run into some difficulty in creating the midi timecode for the console to listen to. Can anyone point me in the direction of a software that can do this? I'd like to use Ableton to run the timecode, but maybe that is beyond it's abilities.

The catch is, i'm running everything on Windows machines. I'd drop this all into QLab in a minute if I had a Mac, but I don't have any Macs.

Testing understanding - you need a PC program to run and just send out a stream of MIDI time codes? That stream then gets split and goes on to both the video and lighting?

Testing understanding - you need a PC program to run and just send out a stream of MIDI time codes? That stream then gets split and goes on to both the video and lighting?
Yes, precisely. Perhaps it doesn't need to be spilt but rather be daisy chained through the two midi devices.
It might be that the video software is Cue Player and we might also use a virtual midi link as suggested in the documentation in order to have the video and lighting run on the same PC, but still getting stuck at a device to send out the midi timecode.

If you're thinking of Cue Player (thank you), then it can be playing a long silent file and trigger the videos and send a MIDI or OSC command to the light board using 'timeline' cues. I just uploaded a 1 hour long silent file to facilitate just that.

is it that you need an interface between the computer and your console? I use this USB - MIDI interface. It hasn't given me issues and I have used it continuously for a couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back