Career Advice Get @Dagger A Job

any training I cN take to become a follow spot operator ?

Any specific skills and qualifications I need ?

any training I cN take to become a follow spot operator ?

Any specific skills and qualifications I need ?

Not really. It takes about 5 minutes to show someone how to run one. Then it's just a matter of getting time behind one to practice. It's a very easy skill to learn, but takes a lot of time behind one to master it. Over time you'll develop a muscle memory and be able to hit most pickups without a sight, and know pretty much where your spot is even when you can't see it.

Reactions: Ric
One of the most valuable skills that can be found in a spot-op is the ability to follow detailed instructions to the letter. Lighting designers have to manage alot of details, with the spot being one of often hundreds. Thus, the perfect spot operator is a person that can follow a lighting designer's instructions perfectly, without deviating from them at all. A spot operator who feel the need to add the spot to scenes without being instructed to do so will not be a spot operator for long.

There are numerous different followspots out there. The controls are slightly different, but they basically do the same thing. Until you become proficient in their use for pickups, you may want to invest in a Spot Dot or Telrad.

One of the most valuable skills that can be found in a spot-op is the ability to follow detailed instructions to the letter. Lighting designers have to manage alot of details, with the spot being one of often hundreds. Thus, the perfect spot operator is a person that can follow a lighting designer's instructions perfectly, without deviating from them at all. A spot operator who feel the need to add the spot to scenes without being instructed to do so will not be a spot operator for long.

Example of instruction letter from the lighting designer?

"Standy-by spots 1 & 4 frame 3 for a three count fade up in a waist on the lead singer center stage; stand by spot 2 frame 6 on a bump SR bass player full body; stand by spot 3 bumping in SL guitar full body frame 5, aaannndd GO."

Until you become proficient in their use for pickups, you may want to invest in a Spot Dot or Telrad.
I've been running followspot s since 1976. Even though I think I'm "proficient", I still use a sight nearly every time. Sights are NOT a crutch, merely another tool.

http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/what-would-you-tell-a-first-time-spot-operator.18326/

Reactions: Ric
At this time of the year I work ally of corporate gigs . Don't really know and havent really seen or didn't paid attention if there is sport lightin g.

Working in theatres at this time of year is best to get into spotlighting ?

There's no "instruction letter." (I think you misread the above poster's phrase, "ability to follow detailed instructions to the letter.")

There may sometimes be a cue sheet or track sheet for the spot ops. I find they're usually only helpful for the LD during the design phase, and during cue-to-cues or stop-and-gos; when running the show full-out, there's generally no time to stop and reference a cue sheet, except in terms of what the next pick-up might be.

They won't give you an actual letter. Most of the time a lighting designer, stage manager, or the lead spot op will verbally give you the cues over com during the show. They will also usually give you a quick synopsis of what you'll be expected to do during the show, who the main characters, which band member you will be on most of the night, etc. They will cover how they will call the cues, what they want for fade times, etc. They'll give you a spot number and call you by that, it's to confusing to remember everyone's names, especially in a tour situation.

At this time of the year I work ally of corporate gigs . Don't really know and havent really seen or didn't paid attention if there is sport lightin g.

For the most part, there should also be some indoor concerts happening as well.

Two real choices when it comes to learning from scratch outside of a school setting. Probably the best one for you is to find a community theatre and volunteer to run spot for a musical. In my experience, follow spot is one of the more difficult crew positions to fill, so you might have an easy time there. Again, in my experience, most community theatres run their musicals during the summer so we are pretty at the end of that - but if you have a look around you might find something.

Another is to find a music venue that uses followspots and see if they need help. Might be more flexibility for a "newbie". Simple mistakes probably won't be as noticed as they would in a musical theatre production.

The ETCP tests may not be for you, but the outline of knowledge can be a great guide. It can help you find out what you don't know. After all, that's usually what causes problems!

I am really interested in building stages , building scaffold towers

I wNt to learn more and be able to read scald blueprints / layouts ( if that's what it's is called ?)
Understanding when and why to brace a bay or use plank bars

Are there any specific courses training you guys know if or it it mainly hands on experience ? ( just though would be easier to have certifications showing potential employers that I know what I am doin )

i don't actually think there is any Training courses for Scaffolding. It's just Put a Buck on. Put the Cross Pieces on and Continue, I think the only time that there would be any sort of training is if you are using outriggers on the Scaffolding. And that's more on how do you use the outriggers.

There is very little in the way of official training for scaffolding. You might be able to find a training course or safety course offered by a manufacturer, but it's unlikely to be recognized by anyone in our industry as having any particular value. The vast majority of rigging (and other tasks like it that can easily kill people if done incorrectly) is learned through the school of hard knocks. You find someone who knows what they are doing and learn by working side by side with them for a while. Then you prove yourself to be safe and skilled and you work your way up to get more opportunities to learn and do more things. There are some classes available for these things, but it's often far more about who your master was that taught you the dark arts one on one.

@What Rigger? have anything to add?

You go work for Mountain or another large staging company. That is the best way, along with listening and asking questions.

Classes in structures - as in structural engineering - would be quite helpful I believe.

Classes in structures - as in structural engineering - would be quite helpful I believe.
If you are designing the scaffolding system then these classes are for you. If you want to learn the theory behind why we brace in a certain pattern or where plan bars go, take these classes. In every major stage build I was involved in the last 20 years the blueprints had been signed off by a structural engineer. Now before 20 years ago that was not the case. Some were, some were not. The OP said he wanted to learn to build stages, not design them, and the only way to learn that is to do it. Plus they should decide whether or not they really enjoy climbing scaff at 100' before they invest to much time or money on classes.

how much weight can can one 10 feet steel wrapped around the beam (basket )Take vs a 8 feet gac flex?

Does adding more steel / gac flex with shackle change how much wright it takes?
Ex.
What if use a 4 ft gac flex steel attached wirh a shackle to a 8 ft gac flex / steel wrapped around the beam and closed with another shackle (that's where to hang the chain ) to make a basket

How mucheeight can it take

Where can I find Infos on weigt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back