Career Advice Get @Dagger A Job

Curious how you get certified and not have any experience.

I attended a course

Got my certificate "pyrotechnic safety and legal awareness"

With that I applied for my natural resource fireworks operator certificate ( no class , training required)

I Am now certified to operate pyrotechnics . I am from Canada.

How is the process in the states?

Getting a job in pyro without experience is going to be just as hard as getting a rigging job. You have an in as a stage hand I would start networking with that job and asking while you work.

Dagger, You'll never get yourself into a well paying job in this business through the classroom or through piece of paper. I have the piece of paper. I paid a lot for it. It took me 10 years and 30,000+ hours of professional experience to get to where I have a well paying job with good benefits. You have to start at the bottom. Stop spending your money on classes, books, and certs. Forget the tests. Start grinding. Get your foot in the door. Only talk on a call if spoken to. Don't be a know it all. Work your ass off. Be the first in the back of a truck. Be the first guy to grab a broom at the end of the call. Be the last person off deck. Build yourself up as a person with a good work ethic and a head on your shoulders with good reasoning skills. The skills will come later. Right now you need to get people to hire you because you are a good hand, not you are an electrician, rigger, pyro tech, sound tech, etc. Dive in. Go for it. Work ethic comes first then the gigs will follow. You have to put your time in. There is no fast way to do this.

What is you specialty in this industry ?
I'm a production Coordinator /manager. I have to know how to do every job that everyone who works under me does like the back of my hand. I also have to know how to interface with a variety on personalities and a variety of show types. My speciality is getting shows in, up, done, and out on budget, safely, and correctly every day. If all goes well I do nothing during the day. If all goes bad I'm on my feet from 9am till 2am.

Sounds like my week. 830am til done, making Christmas happen in 2 days, 2 days of tech, tomorrow a dress. Give me those benefits though :p

Dagger he is right though. Grind and grind hard.

I need
To get an apprenticeship in pyro . I just seem to have some trouble getting foot in the door.

If you want to get in to pyrotechnics, you need to get to know a pyro company in your area and start working either in the warehouse or as an assistant on shows. If they're worth your time (and you do your part by showing up), they'll be eager to bring you in and get you the training you need. Pyro is something that you have to learn from the ground up. You learn while doing, and from someone more experienced than yourself. Then you get the certificates, licenses, etc. You got the certificate first which isn't a problem, but you still need to work under someone for a while. Pyro (like rigging) isn't one of those things where you can attend a class, take a test, and expect to go out working on your own.

Since you asked about pyro in the states, here's my knowledge on the subject. There are three levels of pyro licensing in the states: SEO (Special Effects Operator; NFPA 1126) which allows one to perform proximate/indoor [1.4G fireworks] pyrotechnics, FPO (Fireworks Pyrotechnics Operator; NFPA 1123) which allows one to perform high-level [1.3G explosives] outdoor displays, and FEO (Flame Effects Operator; NFPA 160), which allows one to perform indoor/outdoor flame effects. How you go about getting these licenses depends on the state. Most require some requisite amount of experience before you're eligible to take the tests. For example, more experience is required before you can take the FPO test than the SEO or FEO since 1.3G is classified as explosives. However, being licensed is only half the battle. One still has to interface with the ATF in order to possess and store the pyrotechnics, DOT for transportation, and the local AHJ to coordinate permitting on a show-by-show, venue-by-venue basis. Of course Canada is different, but similar mechanisms are in place.

Basically, a certificate will get you started and at least noticed, but you can't "hit the ground running" with it. But it is a good start and can help you get an 'in' with a local pyro company! But beware that many have non-compete agreements (at least they do here) so you'd do well by sticking with one company or at least asking about their policies on working with other firms. Most see you as an investment and may put resources in to your training, and might be unhappy if you're using your knowledge 'against them' at a competitor. It's an interesting niche with some trade-secrets that they prefer not getting passed around.

Final thought: read the local codes and become familiar with the way things should be done before you choose a company. If you go to work for someone and you see that they are cutting corners or have a lax attitude about safety, go somewhere else. Don't expose yourself to bad habits. They exist everywhere in the industry, so that goes for riggers, electricians, etc as well.

Last edited:
I am applying for audio visual company.

Should I include irrelevant certifications
( such as forklift ticket. Pyro cert, scaffold cert etc,) in my resume?

Was thinking If I send out the Certs will make it look better ? ( shows I am a continuous learner)

It shouldn't hurt to include them. For some employers it won't matter as they will require you to take their training. But at least it means that you already are familiar with the info.

Sure, but not at the expense of relevant qualifications. Including unrelated skills begs a question, "Why are you applying *here*?"

That can be an awkward question with an even more awkward answer if you're applying somewhere that isn't your first choice.

Diversity of skills is a good quality for a resume. Focused skills in an unrelated fields is a red flag. It signals your time with our company is temporary, just a stepping-stone to the field you're really trying to break into.

Showing a bunch of qualifications in related fields, while maybe not directly related to the job, does show that you are dedicated, and shows a history of getting the training and experience necessary for a job.
In the US forklift training is an Online test(that's really hard to fail) and costs $75, But having that cert at least tells me that you have worked somewhere that's at least is reputable enough to be concerned with equipment training(and insurance).
A bunch of different certs or experience tells me that you might not know what you want to do in the long run, but you will make a good effort in anything you are offered, so in my book, that is enough to give you a shot.

I'll take the other side of this. I personally like a clean and to the point resume. Where you have worked, why you left, what you did to better the position you worked, and how long. The CV of why you want the position and that is it. Everything else is just fluff. When I get a 5 page resume 4 of which is special certs, job training, shows you've worked on, and other stuff while it not being useless just make me personally to think what is really true and how much is exaggerated to make the resume look good.

Draft up and impressive CV that can be tailored to any place you apply for with a half a dozen sentences that are specific to that job, that can be swapped out for the next place you apply.

I feel that all the extra stuff can come when there is an interview if it makes it that far. It also gives you something to talk about if there is an awkward moment or lull in the conversation.

Good luck with the applying.

I'll take the other side of this. I personally like a clean and to the point resume. Where you have worked, why you left, what you did to better the position you worked, and how long. The CV of why you want the position and that is it. Everything else is just fluff. When I get a 5 page resume 4 of which is special certs, job training, shows you've worked on, and other stuff while it not being useless just make me personally to think what is really true and how much is exaggerated to make the resume look good.

Draft up and impressive CV that can be tailored to any place you apply for with a half a dozen sentences that are specific to that job, that can be swapped out for the next place you apply.

I feel that all the extra stuff can come when there is an interview if it makes it that far. It also gives you something to talk about if there is an awkward moment or lull in the conversation.

Good luck with the applying.

I totally agree with keeping a resume clean and short, 1-2 pages. After Education, and Job experience, I would give about 3 lines to additional certs, maybe simply on a separate page.
One point I was trying to make above, is that nobody is impressed with a forklift or scissor lift certification, but if you have those then it saves the company a tiny bit of money, and lets you start working with those things from day one.
What sucks is paying for so someone to take the tests, waist a day doing it, then find out after a few days that that person is not a good fit for the job, and have to let them go. If you already have the certifications, you can fast-forward getting fired bay a day or two.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back