Getting Expression I files into the OLE

BenTev28

So, this is tricky -

I have an Expression I show file that I need to read in an Off-Line editor, and every computer I put the disk into shows it as an unformatted floppy. Has anyone had any luck pulling .shw files off of board formatted disks? Tricks? Tips? Rays of hope?

Thanks,
Ben

No rays of hope, no tricks, just bad news

Expression I series consoles uses an older OS that is not compatible with Expression Off-Line, which is a Windows program for accessing Expression II & III, Insight II & III as well as all Express format .shw files.

The older Expression I as well as Vision, MicroVision, etc... had show files accessible via ETC Edit, running as a DOS program (you remember DOS?).

IF you had a machine that allowed the install of ETC Edit, you could read the Expression I file, convert to ASCII then convert the ASCII file in Expression Off-Line to the more recent Expression style consoles. To do this, you need to remember some old DOS commands, including how to type paths, like" "C\IHopeThisIsTheCorrectLocation".

What exactly do you need to do ?.

Steve B.

No rays of hope, no tricks, just bad news

Expression I series consoles uses an older OS that is not compatible with Expression Off-Line, which is a Windows program for accessing Expression II & III, Insight II & III as well as all Express format .shw files.

The older Expression I as well as Vision, MicroVision, etc... had show files accessible via ETC Edit, running as a DOS program (you remember DOS?).

IF you had a machine that allowed the install of ETC Edit, you could read the Expression I file, convert to ASCII then convert the ASCII file in Expression Off-Line to the more recent Expression style consoles. To do this, you need to remember some old DOS commands, including how to type paths, like" "C\IHopeThisIsTheCorrectLocation".

What exactly do you need to do ?.

Steve B.

Believe it or not, that's not terrible news! I need to load the show on a MicroVision, which annoyingly won't just read the darn thing - I'd been hoping to at least get a tracking sheet or something off of the file, but if I can find ETC edit, that might make the whole thing simple. I'll post again if I find a copy.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back