GFCI receptacles for LED fixtures?

jds10011

Looking at doing a small gig in a space that (for no apparent reason) has exclusively GFCI outlets. (No water anywhere in evidence, fully indoors, and built in the last decade.) I know in the past I have tripped these with cheap little conventional dimmers. I'm wondering:
(1) Does anyone have experience with the dedicated Bak Pak model dimmers being powered from a GFCI receptacle (perhaps since they are IGBT this not an issue)?
(2) Is there any issue using LED fixtures on these GFCI receptacles? I have mostly ColorSource PAR and ERS fixtures, and some older Blizzard par units. If so, is it worth keeping to a smaller load (e.g. 12A), or does that not make any difference?

Please don't respond telling me how to defeat the GFCI protection... I'm assuming there is a reason it makes someone happy that it's there, even if I can't imagine it (monthly indoor kiddie pool night?)

Thanks!

A few points:

• GFCI's feeding forward or reverse phase-control dimmers (including Bak-Pak):
  • GFCI's feeding LED luminaires with switch-mode power supplies:
Your mileage may vary. Test with actual luminaires you plan to use.

ST

Last edited:
I've had an issue in the past using ETC Smart pack dimmers when plugged into a GFCI outlet, but only at first.
This was for a backyard party with about 8-10 source fours and a single 12 channel dimmer pack rewired to accept 2 110v circuits instead of a 220v.
Our power sources were both GFCI, one outside, one bathroom.
Within the first 10 minutes both plugs tripped. Once the dimmer was warm however, there were no issues. It ran all night.
Unfortunately didn't try it with LEDs.

I agree with Steve, try it with your fixtures, but don't give up too soon. It might be like my situation where it's only an initial nuisance trip and then smooth sailing afterward.

I've had an issue in the past using ETC Smart pack dimmers when plugged into a GFCI outlet, but only at first.
This was for a backyard party with about 8-10 source fours and a single 12 channel dimmer pack rewired to accept 2 110v circuits instead of a 220v.
Our power sources were both GFCI, one outside, one bathroom.
Within the first 10 minutes both plugs tripped. Once the dimmer was warm however, there were no issues. It ran all night.
Unfortunately didn't try it with LEDs.

I agree with Steve, try it with your fixtures, but don't give up too soon. It might be like my situation where it's only an initial nuisance trip and then smooth sailing afterward.
Thanks. Certainly will keep an open mind.

Also, just so someone says it, the wiring situation you describe (where a device that is supposed to receive multiple hots, a neutral and a ground, is split up in an unapproved modification to receive them from multiple sources) can result in a dangerous condition in several ways. For example, if you inadvertently use circuits from two panels, your device may be accidentally joining two different neutrals and/or two different grounds and carrying current where it doesn't belong. Or, if you accidentally unplug one cable but not the other, you might zap yourself with the neutral on the male end. There are devices that are designed for this situation (e.g. the Leprecon tree dimmers), or you can use LED fixtures. Just wanted to make sure the hazards were apparent.

Looking at doing a small gig in a space that (for no apparent reason) has exclusively GFCI outlets. (No water anywhere in evidence, fully indoors, and built in the last decade.) I know in the past I have tripped these with cheap little conventional dimmers. I'm wondering:
(1) Does anyone have experience with the dedicated Bak Pak model dimmers being powered from a GFCI receptacle (perhaps since they are IGBT this not an issue)?
(2) Is there any issue using LED fixtures on these GFCI receptacles? I have mostly ColorSource PAR and ERS fixtures, and some older Blizzard par units. If so, is it worth keeping to a smaller load (e.g. 12A), or does that not make any difference?

Please don't respond telling me how to defeat the GFCI protection... I'm assuming there is a reason it makes someone happy that it's there, even if I can't imagine it (monthly indoor kiddie pool night?)

Thanks!

Well... regarding the existence of GFCI's... the venue and where it is might tell us more as to why they're there. I think you're referencing water with the thought of NFPA and NEC residential codes in mind with the "rule" of "any outlet within 3 feet of a water source must be GFCI" When in reality, OSHA and local electrical code tend to take that add a double scoop of pain in the butt and voila you wind up with GFCI's everywhere, because a GFCI will almost always pass reasonable personal use therefore if it's GFCI it's safe. The best is when multiple GFCI's wind up on the same branch circuit and no matter how hard you try to reset one it's the one upstream on the line in the bathroom upstairs that'll get ya....

Do you happen to know what the space has been used for, or is used for the most? My guess is that the use of the room/building led to the installation of "unnecessary" to the common eye GFCI outlets...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back