Giant Peach

csilvia9

Hi I have been asked to produce the Peach for James and the Giant Peach. I know they want it to grow. Has anyone done this before? I was thinking of doing an inflatable thing but I think the actors have to go inside of it. I'm curious to know what others have done for this production in the past. Yes I searched the archives but only found one post about paper mache.

Not too familiar with the stage version, (only saw the movie) but depending on your venue, you could do a few different things. The one that I see as being the easies, is making some sort of a movie almost, and somehow project the visual onto a screen of some sort for the audience (if you have reallyyy good media arts people. if not i suggest avoiding that because if it doesn't look impressive, it will totally take away from your show).
Maybe some sort of a silhouette effect with some cool light changes. Paper mache, to me, sounds like it has the potential to look tacky.
An inflatable has potential, maybe a weather balloon? No matter what it is you inflate, I think youd be best off to just do a little bit of the "growing" so the audience understands that its getting larger and larger, and then going to a few lighting changes, ending with a blackout and then turing on the lights, inside the peach, or rather outside of a pre-built huge peach.
Also, maybe even simply making it out of wood, doing a really nice paint job, and making several of them, getting larger and larger in size, and just change out the pieces in between blackouts and light changes.

(Sorry if a lot of that didnt make sense. if anything seems like it could be a possibility for you, and you want me to clarify Id be more than happy to!)

Not sure if this is any help but we made a growing pumpkin for Cinderella. This shows how it works. The bottom of the unit is behind a stone wall onstage.
It emerges from a cart piled with pumpkins and other vegetables.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our school actually did this show a couple years ago, We basically brought down the scrim and projected the peach growing, When it was time for them to step inside the peach, they walked off stage and orange wash lights were lit so you could see them inside the peach, then we mad a giant peach that was the final size that moved on stage and the scrim went up.

I've actually seen the peach done several ways... When it grows.... I've seen shadow puppetry used (so you see the peach on the tree and the shadow peach progressively grows.... One company got really creative with the projection screen and animated the peach growing (but that would be fairly expensive.... As far as the physical peach goes, I've seen 2 companies build a platform and then add foam on one side, slightly curved, and painted it to look like the peach and the other side was the interior of the peach. I've also seen one company that lowered large widths of "peach" colored fabric from the fly and had it serve as the interior and exterior of the peach...They also used flying platforms to show whether they were on the peach or inside, and to show what was going on outside the peach (like when the peach is on the ocean.) It really depends on the director's imagination for the overall look of the production and the production's budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back