Conventional Fixtures Globe Explosion

Hughesie

I was sitting in my room looking at controlbooth (as you do) and i heard a large bang and my room became dark. After isolating the power supply of my rooms light (turning off at the switch) i checked the globe to find it had exploded, in short a small explosion had taken a normal household globe from this

proxy.php

to this
proxy.php

that was the bottom of the globe, it smells like melting metal:mrgreen:

which was quite surprising for me, the moral of the story is

Globes blow no matter the type and they like to do it at the worst moment.

Also, that i can write really boring stories:twisted:

i saw a globe seperate its self from the base, and go falling down still lit up at my old highschool auditorium. About 45 min prior the entire auditorum was filled with juniors for the highschool ring promo. I had already graduated and they asked me to come in and do some consulting. The house lights in the auditorum were standard 150 watt bulbs. Imagine how the lawsuits would fly if a burning globe were to fall down 30 feet onto your head.

Most lamps have a fusible link in the base. On rare occasions, when the fusible link blows, it may actually arc out the base (more common on 240v than 120v) causing the bulb to shatter or blow out of the base. Fixtures that are open at the bottom are a bit like Russian Roulette in that this can and does happen. On the other hand, it is very rare!

Looks like a medium or Edison - short of checking spec, bi-pin dual contact base where both hot and neutral are in the bottom of the socket. Can't tell how many DC bayonet lamps I installed in old school SC bayonet Fresnels until I learned - perhaps it only took one time.

Still I expect it was less the lamp initially though trash now than failure of socket and lamp base by way of heat melting the solder contacts and a short between them. No doubt the lighting fixture socket is just as toast as the lamp at this point.

Heat/wattage of lamp and cooling of them often have problems in fixures with dual contact bayonet type lamps. Could be given a "Reveal" looking lamp that the coating on it got hot enough to not cool properly, could have been wattage. None the less, the solder contacts melted and shorted.

Had that condition also with DC Bayonet lamps over the years of cheap brands of them at the higher wattages where they would melt about the contacts in the socket and no longer conduct, arc or weld themselves to the socket. Switching to premium brands did solve that problem as possibility in this case perhaps.

Don't know if of any help but that short in the lamp base you see is I think also fixture socket. Than the cause of it was most likely a short between poles and or melting of solder contacts. Cause of that was amongst things, the light blocking / heat absorbtion of the color correcting lamp not doing good things to its lamp base, wattage, warn socket or other causes which won't be good news to the next lamp installed or persay especially the same type of lamp installed.

My thoughts at lest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back