Gloves, or no gloves...

I would prefer the rope slip a litte rather than losing lots of skin (in that case, the rope would slip AND you'd get blood all over the place). Although I know what you mean, I like going gloveless at times.

In our theatre, my personal feeling when operating the flys is that gloves are a must. I think this comes from the fact that all of our purchase lines are hemp, and picking out hemp splinters at the end of the day is a real drag. Sometimes I think I should wear safety glasses too as I have gotten hemp splinters in my eyes while looking up the lines to see the flags.

I think the key to gloves in any situation is to find ones that fit just right and give you the dexterity you need. You are probably better off with good fitting cheap gloves from the Home Cheapo than expensive gloves from the local stage supplier that don't fit great. That being said, I love my SetWear Journeyman gloves for flys and general work, and I drag out my HotHands for focus.

in our theatre, we did a production of the Wizard of Oz earlier in the season and we had a fellow named Mark Kostuch, a flying Director from Flying by For come in to help us rig a few flying tracks to fly people. His number one rule about flying people, is that you NEVER wear gloves. He explained that gloves are bad because as they wear down the residue and material that is being torn off ends up on the rope, which adds to slippage later.

Obviously, this rule is a little more strict when flying people because if you let go of the rope, the actor falls. Simple as that. On a fly rail, flying scenery, I think gloves just come down to personal preference. for normal scenery flying, no gloves usually work fine. But when you have to fly something in or out fast, like the Main Curtain for example, its best to use gloves so that you can slow it down with the friction your hands provide as you near the in or out spike.

Interesting. When we did Peter Pan several years ago, Foy was our flying company. Our flying director from Foy required our people to wear gloves!?

Dennis

could it have been the type of ropes used that made a difference?
That's possible, Hemp vs. synthetic. Or perhaps one Foy employee vs. another. Hmmmm Maybe it's purely personal preference. Maybe, Just maybe, it's like the "how many licks does it take to get to the middle of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?".... The world may never know.

speaking of foy and flying. the community college i used to attend is doing peter pan and having foy come in to do the rigging.

speaking of foy and flying. the community college i used to attend is doing peter pan and having foy come in to do the rigging.

Foy.... The Only way to Fly.

im kind of disappointed i transfered out of there because now im more into my major and not as much technical theatre. i want to go see the rigging of all that stuff and wont be able to see it installed, but i will probably be there for opening night and i know the crew will let me go on stage and take a look at every thing.

I have been told to wear gloves all the time so you don't mess up your hands when pulling the ropes. I do take off my gloves when I'm pulling one of the heavier flys because it does seem I get more grip when I don't have gloves compared to when I do have them on. I do see the point about when you're flying people and that if you drop them they will get injured or killed, but most of the times I would wear gloves because if you screw up your hands you can't just go buy a new pair. As a friend of mine said, You can buy new equipment but you can't repalce people.

i usually wear gloves for rigging, carp, grinding and just abotu everythign else that can get kinda dangerous without them..
a good sweat trick is take a nail and punch like 100 holes through the palms and backs of the gloves (vents the air really well)
i have 2 sets of gloves that i use, ones with fingers and full breathable leather (holds up better than cloth or nylon)
and a pair without fingers but i sewed on a pad on the palm and up the finger parts for grip (just junk rubber)
gives grip and i dont sweat in them at all even after a 16hour call

I too have a pair of the "original" Mechanix gloves. Slightly modified, though. I like having the tactile feel with my fingers, so I took them to my costume tech, measured out where I'd like them cut, and she double sewed the seam with heavy thread. Saves my palms on the line, but still have a soft touch with the com or whatever when I need them.

I never used gloves I could never find a pair that suited me until I found in a sports store fingerless gloves designed for Rugby players so they don't drop the ball when it's wet. They are made out of something similar to wet suit material and have rubbery palms. I love them and wear them pretty much all the time. In the theatre that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back