Gloves! Protect your hands!

so what kind of gloves should i use for fly system work, focusing, and general stage work? i currently have a pair of standard leather work gloves but mine are insilated which come in handy when focusing. im looking at setwear and ironclade. my freind used ironclade when he was flying for peter pan. i also dont want a lot of writing on them, just doesnt look good to me.

Haha ya, my mom talks about when she was in nursing school taking chemistry class, having to pipet by mouth... you dont want to touch some of the chemicals she almost had in her mouth with a 10 foot stick! Anyways, now my HS even has micropipetters that can accurately measure down to the microliter, not much reason to use your mouth anymore, and ya, your mouth isnt that accurate!

About gloves.... we have a cheap pair lieing arround the auditorium for focusing when the lights are hot and the rare time we use or fly rails (never yet used them in a show, so it's just when ajusting the lights) Now on the farm I work at... I wear out at least a pair a year! I get mid quality leather ones (cant aford the good ones at the rate I go through them!) that conform to my hand nicely so i can still be nimble grabing the hay twine.

Well for the past year I have been a “silent” distributor for Ironclad gloves here in Western Australia. It all came about after I ordered a pair online through a third part supplier and then made contact with Ironclad to ask if there were distributors in Australia. Turned out that a company local to me were in the midst of signing a deal to be the sole Aus/NZ distributor. Ironclad were nice enough to actually pass on my email to them and they contacted me. I have been purchasing gloves from them ever since and that have very generously allowed me to on sell to the entertainment industry.

What I have learned from all of this is that gloves are like any other tool that you may own and no one glove will be perfectly suited to all jobs. For example, you wouldn’t use a hammer to loosen a nut (would you?). In selling gloves to the major lighting company here, as well as to some others, here is the breakdown of what they buy and why:

Mach 5 – general use where finger tips are required or for those who do not like full fingered gloves. For me - these don't offer as much protection as the other gloves. Handles tend to rub on the middle knuckle but I wear them mainly when on pyro shows as I need the fingers free for wiring up and most lifting is of boxes and crates.

Framers / Griptech Strikers – where a more robust glove is required as the longer fingers on these (even the cut offs) offer more protection to the middle knuckle. These tend to be the choice of those who are rigging, as the finger cut offs offer better control of nuts/bolts and carabineer clips

Griptech Advantages / General Utility – a general purpose full fingered glove that still offers good dexterity. Full finger protection for most work, including focussing. Some find the moulded fingers are fine for hanging lights, where as others do prefer the Framers or Griptech Strikers – I own a pair of each. The General Utility gloves are what I use for the general bump in/bump out and for most jobs. The Griptech Advantages I use when I am using my chainsaw as they offer greater grip and less muscle force.

Ranchworks – The only full leather washable glove that offers excellent wear and durability when handling ropes. However, they are not as flexible as the others and do not offer the same amount of dexterity. They are also yellow/tan in colour but I hear that a black variety will be coming out.

Some comments on the Griptech gloves:
Reported to offer better grip on aluminium truss and with the adhesive sheets applied to tool, less effort is required to hold them and they don’t slip in your hands. However rope work will damage them and cause them to wear quicker.

Most of these guys are buying 2 or 3 different pairs of gloves and the most common are the Mach 5’s, the Griptech Strikers and the Ranchworks.

However, I know that they can be a little expensive if you are buying more that one pair (even one pair) but I guess you have to look at what you actually want them for. The rolled finger tips are certainly the best fitting and easiest to work with of all the gloves that I have worn in the past (I have not tried the Setware gloves however). The other advantage is that they are lightweight and washable. After a few minutes, you actually do forget that you are wearing them and one guy that I sold them to actually woke up one morning after a show and still had his Mach 5 gloves on. True story.

Ask you friend if you can borrow his and see what you think.

As a basic starting out glove, I would recommend either the general utility which is good for any lifting and for focusing but you may find it a little more difficult when it comes to working with nuts/bolts and tools. Although, you do get use to them. The biggest thing for most people is whether or not to go for full fingers or cut offs and that is mainly a personal thing.

Hope this helps.

wolf825 said:
...The boys at ZFX flying Illusions have a cool set of gloves for rope work. Worth checking out IMO... www.zfxflying.com...

ZFX did the flying for our production of Peter Pan, and we got those gloves for everyone (which wasnt cheap) and I wouldn't recommend them personally. They undoubtedly have a superior grip to anything else I have used, but they burn straight through quickly. I burned through a pair in just one day. I then moved on to the setwear Pro Leather Gloves. They were super heavy duty and wouldn't wear out, though after a few days my grip with them was decreased on the hand line. Of course, I was hanging my entire weight, climing the ropes basically. However, they work perfectly fine for standard rigging and such. I actually ended up wearing a pair of Neummans over the SetWears so I had the grip AND the protection. Kinda the best of both worlds. The SetWears I actually kept after the show, but unfortunately I lost one when I tipped over sailing recently. (Yeah I used them sailing that ONCE, just my luck, first time I tip over I'm wearing $40 gloves!)

Long story short Setwear gloves are good for rigging, though you may have some grip issues with really heavy ropes.

The head elec on my last tour had a pair for focus, and swore by them. He kept a pair of fingerless and a pair of HotHands in his toolbox all the time.

I ended up borrowing them once when I gave him a hand on a couple of focus notes, and if you're doing lots of handling of hot lights, they're definitely the way to go. Too heavy for everyday use, but for focus they're perfect.

That Duluth Trading looks pretty good, I'll try and head down there later and maybe try a pair of those master series mesh back gloves. I never even knew that place sold that type of stuff!

I like Mechanix Wear Gloves. They are by far more durrable and last longer. I go through pairs of SetWear gloves like T-shirts. And a guy I work with mentioned these. You can usually get them at an car parts store. Just make sure you have the right spelling! :D

I like the M-Pact Series. They have fingerless and 3 other versions depending on your budget. Bur really they have a bunch of different gloves depending on what you do more of. They got hot gloves and such but I have never got any but hey if NASCAR uses them, then they must be good.

jfbach said:
On the topic of setwear...

Has anyone used Setwear HotHand gloves?

Yeah I'm on my second pair. I got them when I was doing lighting work all the time and needed the heat protection. I continue to use them everyday as general purpose work gloves. I don't mind the lessened dexterity generally. I use them around a datacenter everyday when I'm working on gear or building out racks and unless I'm working on the insides of a server and need to work on some non-toolless part, they never come off. I wear them outside sometimes when its cold out too - they're not that warm, but they're not as warm or bulky as ski gloves which I try to avoid.

i have a pair of the heavy general utility gloves by ironclade. jsut the other day some of the rubber pads on the got pretty melted by a hot lamp. im glade i have them on other wise i would have been pretty burnt. i like the felixibility in them. my td has gone though like 4 pairs of them in the last 2 years.

Something nobody else mentioned, breaks are somewhat inappropriately named. They aren't intended to be used to slow a purchase line. They're only to be used to stop a line. Slowing a line rubs the rope and wears it much faster then normal.

the_dude said:
Something nobody else mentioned, breaks are somewhat inappropriately named. They aren't intended to be used to slow a purchase line. They're only to be used to stop a line. Slowing a line rubs the rope and wears it much faster then normal.

I'll further clarify. They're meant to serve as a backup to hold a line that is already stopped in place. They are not meant to stop a moving line, nor are they meant to hold an out-of-weight line. A properly balanced line should stay in place on its own if untouched, a brake just keeps it from being moved.

the_dude said:

Are you talking about a mechanical rope lock?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back