Gloves! Protect your hands!

I have a pair of the ironclad framers gloves, I love them for load ins and construction but don't suggest them for flying. the fingers aren't close enough to your fingers to get a solid grip on it. They also work fine in stopping heat while lighting, even though that is not their intended use. I might have to get a pair of those HotHand Gloves.

What is a preffered glove for flying?

Pie4Weebl said:
I have a pair of the ironclad framers gloves, I love them for load ins and construction but don't suggest them for flying. the fingers aren't close enough to your fingers to get a solid grip on it. They also work fine in stopping heat while lighting, even though that is not their intended use. I might have to get a pair of those HotHand Gloves.

What is a preffered glove for flying?

You have the wrong size for your hand. Ironclad gloves should fit snugly and the rolled finger tips need to sit on the top of your fingers.

I sell them here and the framers, mach 5, ranchworks as well as the griptech range are the most popular amongst techs. Ranchworks if you are doing any serious rope work as the Griptech material rips up with rope. However, the glove is more durable and it is just the griptech coating that wears out. Mind you, their intended use is for vibration suppression form power tools, where you stick the griptech material to the tools and when gripped by the glove it increases your grip strength up to 600%.

What makes these so popular with local techs is the finger tips are cut off of the thumb, index and middle finger (like the framer) but they also seem to grip truss better. Most of my clients are buying two or even three pairs.

Head back to your dealer and try on a smaller size.

Setwear gloves don’t have a good name here from those in the industry that I have spoken to and am now selling Ironclad gloves to.

Agh the nearest dealer to me is almost 100 miles away! I need to get a few different pairs for different things, I help with pretty much anything and everything.

A quick note:

I've noticed my setWear Hothands have started to wear out. I think I'll try the Mechanix next and see how those work.

I remember when I was being trained my boss just used her sleeves for hot instraments. She was hard-core like that.

TechDirector said:
I know! Our flies are pretty well balanced though. But for our show, we are going to have this huge backdrop that weighs somthing like 300 pounds.......we have plenty of weights to counter balence it though. Why are those ropes so friggin' rough though? Is it because they are always going through the gears and all?
ahhh...300 pds..
There is a reason that the THING in the back of our rigging is called the friggen. Almost a half ton of playwood and steel studs hanging 20 feet in the air. before reweighting it recently we would have someone riding the rigs and about 3+ ppl (depending on weight class) trying to keep their footsies on the gound. But thats all better now...only takes two ppl to fly it now. But gloves are a must...and to be honest, the best gloves i have are a pair a of extrication gloves that are used by firemen and such when doing car wreck rescue (jaws of life, etc) Great for working on sets cause of the kevlar in them, thin enough for running cables and shock resistent, which is very nice for someone doing lights and sound, and heat resistent for lights as well. And to behonest, you can get a pair fairly cheap. this is my favorite site for this stuff

HTML:
http://www.galls.com

and their rough cause most of the time hemp rope is still used cause its so darn good for rigging...doesnt strech very much and lasts forever about. But, since its a natural fiber, its going to wear no matter what you do. Go get a brand new hemp rope at the hardwarestore, it will be just as rough and splintery

as greg as mentioned we got this thing called the frigin but wat he didnt mention is we havve about 1600 lbs of weightes on this thing and it still takes 2 people to pull in and out lol and we also have some of the best gloves ever on the top of them the right handed one says right and the left handed one says other right lol

Gloves

This time around, I did actually successfully search the forum ( D: ).

Anyways, I'm curious about the gloves everyone uses for focusing (that is, while the light is veryvery hot). As of right now, I use ordinary Carhart leather work gloves. They work just fine most of the time, but there are definitely moments where I'm like "oh hot hot hot" and the gloves continue to be really hot even after I pull my hand away (since the light heated up the glove so much).

Anyways, I'm trying to put together a lighting wishlist for next year, and I'm looking into gloves. I know that setwear makes gloves (and from what I saw they even have "hothand" gloves) and from what I found from searching this forum everyone absolutely loves them.

But at the same time, they're uh, kinda expensive for my tastes (<-cheapskate). So I'm wondering, well two things really. First off, what do you all wear for focusing lights? Second off, to those who use the Setwear/more expensive ones, do you know if there's a big difference from those and ordinary leather work gloves?

Re: Gloves

The hot hands are by far the best gloves out there. Any other glove that is made for high heat is usualy made for welding. Though i love my welding gloves wearing them to focus would be nearly impossible. The hot hands gloves have a very tactile feal while still keeping out the head. I would spend the extra money and get a pair of hot hands. I also own a pair of the setwear leather gloves as well and they have held up very well.

*headdesk*. Okay, for the second time I'm sorry for making a preexisting topic. When I searched for gloves (for focusing purposes), I did so in the lighting forum, because I figured that such a topic for light-focusing gloves would be there. So when I read through the results, that topic never came up. Ugh...I'm stupid.

>,<. Sorry.

since this thread is on the topic can you do fine work with the hot hands? from the pics they look kinda bulky to do lighting work with.

You can do fine work as needed. Grabing nobs, bolts, clips, and spinning bottles is rather easy. They make benching a s4's much easier. They are not as bulky as they look when they are on your hand.

I find it easier to have all the relevant information in the one topic. It makes it easier when you are searching for information. Thus, I would prefer it if this discussion could be moved across to the other thread on gloves that I mentioned earlier. It should make it easier for anyone else to find information on gloves more easily. Do others agree with my preference?

Last edited:

Yes! I like having all relavent information in just one topic, and not having to search other topics.

Heh, thanks.

I have a question, actually, I PM'ed Mayhem about this because he (if I read his posts right) actually sells the gloves, but right now I'm leaning towards the Ironclad Heatworx 300 gloves. My only worry is whether they're strong enough--they're rated for 300 degrees fahreinheit, and I'm not sure if that'd be enough. I mean, I'm guessing yes, but any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back