gobo carrying case

len

I have 30 - 40 steel B sized gobos I carry to job sites with me. But carrying them in a cd case doesn't work. Can't find any 3.5" floppy disk cases. Any other suggestions?

I have 30 - 40 steel B sized gobos I carry to job sites with me. But carrying them in a cd case doesn't work. Can't find any 3.5" floppy disk cases. Any other suggestions?

Why doesn't a CD case work? Are you talking about the clear jewel cases?

Try a CD wallet--black nylon, holdes 12-20 CDs.

--Sean

Do your CDs bend there?
--Sean

but CD's are more durable then thin steel gobos. I use an old card catalog box with dividers, but we don't transport them more than theater to theater

Last edited:
Take your gobos to your local sports collectibles shop. They can get you plastic sheets that go in a 3 ring binder that will hold 4... maybe even 6 gobos a page. Pick up a D ring binder at the office supply store. Office supply stores used to commonly carry the same plastic sheets in a size that would hold four 3.5" floppy disks... which is perfect. But it may be hard to find those now thus the Baseball Card shop is a good bet.

EDIT: Here you go, for size B get these and for Size A get these.

Last edited:
but CD's are more durable then thin steel gobos. I use an old card catalog box with dividers, but we don't transport them more than theater to theater

I really think you guys are overthinking this.

Steel templates in a CD binder will be fine. If they're not old and crusty they'll be fine in a cardboard envelope (you know, like they ship in).

Think about the products. So long as the templates aren't creased, they'll be fine. It's a chunk of steel.

Incidently, if you have them packed close together they'll be safer--less risk of being bent. Just like it's harder to bend a ream of paper than it is to fold a couple sheets.

--Sean

The cd thing is what I'm using now. They don't stay in, because a cd is thicker and is the right diameter. They'll stay in the case, but not in the individual cd sleeve. I'll see if I can find a baseball card thingie.

Yeah, I said thingie.

I've got a 72 cd case that works pretty well. From time to time the templates do slide around but I have never had one fall out or get bent. My case does have a zipper around it though. My one complaint. It doesn't sit flat when it is open. Maybe I'll have to switch to a binder...

You could also check out your local photo store. You can get 3 ring photo pages for 3.5x5 photos, those work well. If you look here, you can get photo pages or baseball card pages.

The diskette storage or Baseball card storage is better because they are a better fit than the CD storage case. I used to use the card file but the plastic sheets are great because it's so much easier to keep a large quantity organized. Plus for any gobos that have little tiny pieces that can catch and tangle, they are great because gobos are in their own flat sealed off space.

i just use a 100 cd carry case thing like for your car, it seems to work fine. you can get ones that have an extra tab at the top to prevent the cd from sliding out, same applies for gobos ;)

Perhaps Apollo should consider offering such a "CD" case, or buy up all stock of 3.5" diskette binder pages before all are discontinued?

Len, I think I have several unused diskette cases I could send you if you want? None hold more than 10 disks, however.

I'll tell you where NOT TO store a gobo...in your pocket. I put a gobo of the year "1945" in my pocket for just a minute as I was running around stage showing a couple of visitors to our childrens theatre how lights work. I used the gobo as an example and then showed them a few lights that contained gobos. I must've forgotten about it till I got home that night and went to take all the junk out of my pockets. I stuck my hand in and cut myself pretty bad under my fingernail. :oops::(

ugh, I HATE HATE HATE gobo cuts. Fingernail cuts are of course awful, but I was just runing my finger over one once and sliced it a couple mm's deep. Not a pleasant feeling.

Just a random one, because I was fishing for something original. DVD cases? They'd slide around, but they have plenty of organizers/drawers/what have you and if you put them in nicely I wouldn't think they'd get damaged.

Perhaps Apollo should consider offering such a "CD" case, or buy up all stock of 3.5" diskette binder pages before all are discontinued?
Len, I think I have several unused diskette cases I could send you if you want? None hold more than 10 disks, however.

Hi guys,

Actually, we offer the empty Black Box (shown in the link here as filled with 150 steel stock gobos).

This ABS plastic box has 10 slots/compartments and a lid that nests either on the top or bottom, depending upon it's application.

http://www.internetapollo.com/Products/View/2911.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back