Gobo for LED light with NO spill....HELP

kokofi

Hello ControlBooth In a case for a piece of (more or less) architectural lighting I need to project a companies logo onto the wall, the problem is that they want to run it all business hours and they want NO spill on the logo. The distance is about 10ft~15ft. Originally they were using a Src 4 Jr. with a custom cut gobo with their logo, but there was too much spill, while I could just put barn doors on it to close off the spill the fixture is too hot to be running in an office space for such a long period of time over and over. (replacing too many bulbs). So I am now looking at the American DJ Gobo projector. A simple unit still in their price range (I didn't want to go for a led version of the Src 4) that I believe can get the job done. However I'm concerned about the spill this could get. The options of course being custom cut gobo on transparency film or a steel piece. Anyone out there used this particular unit or has any insight on the spill and quality of this (or any generic) gobo projector?

I am not sure what you mean by spill? Is light bleeding out from around the Gobo? Is the image size too big? What size image do you want? The American DJ Unit is only a 13 deg spread which will be much smaller than the S4 Jr, even if it is a 26deg unit. It is also not very bright, depending on the ambient light this may be a big issue.

The spill is the bleed, the field light, it's what is not EXACTLY on the line with the image. And thank you jo for pointing out the beam angle, if I put the projector maximum distance away that will give me a 5' 6" size vs the original 3' 6". Would you recommend any other alternatives?

If you're talking about reducing halation (fuzzy edges) then I'd recommend an ETC enhanced lens tube. At least in the incandescent world, this is the sharpest gobo projection I've seen. But, I haven't ever touched any of the LED ERS technology. I'd assume you could put an ELT on an LED S4. For around 1 million dollars.

Keep in mind the brightness, at 3 meters the ADJ projector is 540 lux and if you were using a S4 jr that was 26 degrees at 3m it would be around 2,400 lux

Bill i'm a little iffy on that fixture, have you personally used it and could you provide any extra info on it?

I've used both the fixture as well as the Apollo PrintScenic (because I work at Apollo :) ) and can appreciate the lower cost of the gobo- especially when produced in full color. Finicky corporate clients may still desire the b/w glass high resolution gobo over the PrintScenic for long term projections- but that is up to the client.

Apollo Design | PrintScenic will add some insight as to the advantages of PrintScenic and the tested fixtures they may be used within.

I'd assume you could put an ELT on an LED S4. For around 1 million dollars.

The S4 LED is designed to work with EDLTs, and using a normal lens tube will result in the color not mixing quite as cleanly - although it's not so significant that you can't get away with it for a wash or in a pinch. Also, an EDLT isn't terribly expensive - generally sub-$200 depending on your dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back