Gobo, how to use?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Hopefully the theater, though small, will have a gobo I can use for this. Although, I have no idea on how to use the gobo, it would just be run on the board as a regular light but with the gobo in the fixture itself? Sorrry, I dont know this as I am in high school and only have worked with a 2-scene manual board.

And if they have a gobo and I can figure out how to use it, then we can play around as to where it will show on the stage or something.

When people here mentioned a blue or brown-out that just means going down to those colored lights, so the stage is dim but still lit with either the blue or brown right?

And one more question, sorry, but what is a cyc, I dont know what that is or if I do I may just be calling it something different?

Thanks for all the help.

[Edit: This and the following twenty or so posts have been moved here from http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/14898-need-help-scene-changes.html#post143270..]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Need help with scene changes

Hopefully the theater, though small, will have a gobo I can use for this. Although, I have no idea on how to use the gobo, it would just be run on the board as a regular light but with the gobo in the fixture itself? Sorrry, I dont know this as I am in high school and only have worked with a 2-scene manual board.

And if they have a gobo and I can figure out how to use it, then we can play around as to where it will show on the stage or something.

When people here mentioned a blue or brown-out that just means going down to those colored lights, so the stage is dim but still lit with either the blue or brown right?

And one more question, sorry, but what is a cyc, I dont know what that is or if I do I may just be calling it something different?

Thanks for all the help.

A gobo is a pattern cut into a piece of metal that is inserted into an ellipsoidal. When that light is turned on, there will be a pattern projected onto whatever surface the light is pointed at. I would recommend using several gobos if possible.

Yes, a blue-out is turning off all the lights except for the blue gelled ones. Then putting the blue lights at a level with enough light to see, but not bright. Same with brown.

A cyc is a large, usually white, piece of fabric hung at the back of the stage and is used with cyc lights with gels to change the color of it. The cyc is as tall as the stage and as wide as the stage. Gobos can also be pointed at the cyc for an interesting pattern or look.

Hope that helps!

~Jack
Mounds View High School, MN

Jack, that helps so much!!

I am still unsure if this small theatre will have gobos or even the right lights to use gobos with so I will see. If they have the right lights, we may order a cheap gobo online to use for just this play.

I am unsure about using the cyc for this but its a good idea, I have never used one before. I dont know what lights this theater has so once I found out hopefully things will get bit easier.

A gobo is a pattern cut into a piece of metal that is inserted into an ellipsoidal. When that light is turned on, there will be a pattern projected onto whatever surface the light is pointed at. I would recommend using several gobos if possible.

Yes, a blue-out is turning off all the lights except for the blue gelled ones. Then putting the blue lights at a level with enough light to see, but not bright. Same with brown.

A cyc is a large, usually white, piece of fabric hung at the back of the stage and is used with cyc lights with gels to change the color of it. The cyc is as tall as the stage and as wide as the stage. Gobos can also be pointed at the cyc for an interesting pattern or look.

Hope that helps!

~Jack
Mounds View High School, MN

Cyc is short for cyclorama (a standard short form).
Gobos are inserted into the light itself to create the pattern desired....

proxy.php

This is an example of an ERS (aka Ellipsoidal, or Leko). The gobo goes in near the shutters, (the things sticking out the sides in the middle).

proxy.php

A couple examples of gobo holders.
The gobo goes into this, and in turn into the lighting fixture.

proxy.php

A few gobos, with a different type of gobo holder

For more detailed information about gobos or cyclorama's search the ControlBooth.com glossary.

I am not sure how familiar you are with standard lighting equipment, so you may want to learn a little more about lighting instruments. Here are a few standard lights:

Ellipsoidal (also known as lekos or source fours): Instrument that allows you to "shutter" off light, project gobos, and are used as special's or washes.

Fresnel's and Scoop's are used for general stage washes.

Cyc lights or striplights are often used to light the cyclorama and come in 3 or 4 circuit versions. So the cyc light will usually have 3 or 4 lights in it, in which you can put a different color gel in each and then mix them to produce different color backgrounds.

Just a little info, if you need more details, ask or gooogle it!

Last edited:

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry I dont know much of the terms with the equipment as no one has ever really taught me the terms of equipment at my school, unfortunately.

I will check all the links provided and I hope the theater has at least a light that can have a gobo. So then, I can buy a cheap gobo (I looked at GoboMan and some other places) and use it for the show with the exisiting fixture.

I am not sure where we would show the gobo projection but I will figure this out once I visit the theater this week.

Thanks for all the help so far, if you have more help please share!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry I dont know much of the terms with the equipment as no one has ever really taught me the terms of equipment at my school, unfortunately.

I will check all the links provided and I hope the theater has at least a light that can have a gobo. So then, I can buy a cheap gobo (I looked at GoboMan and some other places) and use it for the show with the exisiting fixture.

I am not sure where we would show the gobo projection but I will figure this out once I visit the theater this week.

Thanks for all the help so far, if you have more help please share!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Since you haven't had the chance to learn much about theater equipment and techniques I would definitely recommend picking up a copy of "Technical Theater for Nontechnical People" by Drew Campbell at your local library, bookstore or Amazon.com. It's a great book that does a fantastic job of introducing the basics and more.

If you tell us where you are located someone might be able to give you the name of a local theatrical supplier where you could easily and quickly pick up some gobos and get advice.

I am located in New Jersey, Jack.

And I will look into that book. Like I said, I know some terms but the cyc and the gobos stuff is new to me, but probably because we dont have those so I never got to really hear/learn about them.

Thanks for the help again.

That makes sense about the terms. When I started high school I had never heard ANY of these terms before. I learned a couple terms from older students, and a bunch from a technical advisor we had helping us for one play. But a lot of what I have learned has come from this website, other websites, and book's like the one I recommended.

I live in near the Twin Cities in Minnesota and I purchase a lot of my stuff from Norcostco. They are based out of Minnesota, but looking at their website (Norcostco - Contact Us) they have a location in New Jersey as well. The NJ location might be costumes only though, I would give them a call though, they have pretty good prices. They have more products than shown on their site, and usually sell for less than the listed price if you email them. Someone on CB from NJ might be able to help you more in finding a supplier.

I will check all the links provided and I hope the theater has at least a light that can have a gobo.

Most ellipsoidals can fit gobos. Have you been taught any theater terms? Maybe you've learned it as leko, spotlight, source four. This si what they look like:

proxy.php

Hope this helps!

... And one more question, sorry, but what is a cyc, I don't know what that is or if I do I may just be calling it something different? ...
<Public service announcement.>
(Sorry I'm stating the obvious here, but apparently it needs to be said ...)
If you're using the standard "Black & Gold" Control Booth Display Style, notice how some words in posts are yellow? These are terms identified by CB's 'bot as being in the wiki. Clicking on them will take you directly to a definition.

<We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.:grin:>

Oooooh soxred93, this doesnt apply to the theater I have been talking about, but the light in the picture looks like some lights we have at my high school.

So....that means I can hopefully convince the director to let us purchase some gobos for our next production. I think they could really add to the lighting and feel of the play, and I have seen some cheap metal gobos online.

Ofcourse, the gobos would be put in and projected at the spot we want, but there would be no moving gobos and stuff, but I am sure even if the gobos dont move they would still add to the feel of the play, right?

I have seen gobos in EVERYTHING imagined and if we can get some for cheap, we could maybe use them in a show. BUT, I am not positive that we have those lights, they just look familiar from that picture, do most high school theaters have the ellipsoidals?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, even static [non moving] gobos can be invaluable to a scene in texture and atmosphere.

You say that the picture looks familiar. The instrument pictured is an L&E 6" ellipsoidal, but more popular is the Altman 360Q, which is very similar looking. You probably had them.

As for the popularity of ellipsoidals, they should be the most predominant lighting fixture in the inventory. Of course, this isn't always so, but I'd say that most high schools have them. They're just about the most useful lighting tool you can have. My elementary school had 5 ellipsoidals, my middle school had about 7, and my high school had about 150. It is more rare to find a space without them than it is to find one with them.

Great, when we start our production in October I will find out if we have these lights and if we do, I will try my best to convince them to purchase a few cheap gobos.

I am really loving the variety of gobos I see online and some ones are cheap so we could even just try some out without spending a whole lot of money. They seem to provide some really great options, but I will have to wait until I see the show we are doing (Its a Showcase Prodction- bits and pieces of plays and musicals) and then try to find a gobo to work for the play.

Are there any "standard" gobos that can be applied to about anything in a show? And are gobos typically projected at scenery, the stage floor itself, where? I am assuming it TOTALLY depends on the gobo and what you want to achieve with it though.

I am assuming it TOTALLY depends on the gobo and what you want to achieve with it though.

Yup, pretty much answered your own question! There really aren't any standard gobos that can be used for any show, but some widely used gobos are breakups, clouds, trees, thatch, stars... The list goes on. As you can see, many gobos available can be used as scenic elements, but as you said, it really depends on the show, and what the designer/director wants. There are really no rules when it comes to designing lights and using gobos. Common practices there are, but don't be afraid to step outside the box!

You said this is a "Showcase" type production. This should be a perfect time to experiment. Pitch the idea of gobos to your director, and find out what shows you will be touching on. Then take it from there!

Les, thank you SO much. I REALLY hope we have the correct lighting for these gobos.

I know that we have lighting fixtures that can have gels put in them, but the gobo holders are much different right? That picture still looks like a fixture we may have, but I dont know for sure as I havent been to my school all summer.

I have seen online some videos with gobos and the possibilites look endless. I just hope we have the correct fixture for a gobo. If we dont, and only have lighting that can have gels put in (sorry-I really dont know what we have) can we buy a different gobo holder for a gobo, or we need the ellipsoidals?

Thanks Les!

As for the popularity of ellipsoidals, they should be the most predominant lighting fixture in the inventory. Of course, this isn't always so, but I'd say that most high schools have them.

My high school both agrees and disagrees with your comment. :p We have about 24 ellipsoidals, 30 fresnels, and 10 pars. Fresnels are the most predominant here.

Pretty much, if not all, theatrical lighting fixtures can accept gels. What makes an ellipsoidal different is the optics. The gobo holder and gobo go in front of the light source, but behind the lenses (hence GOBO - GO Before Optics). So in essence, the gobo drops into a slot in the middle of an ellipsoidal spotlight. They do not replace nor interfere with the gel frame. Quick and dirty: You need an ellipsoidal.
Other lighting instruments you may have are fresnels - designed to produce a soft beam of light which can be adjusted from narrow to wide. These are categorized by the unique lens which contains concentric rings. They will be short, about half the length of an ellipsoidal. Another common one is the parcan. Par cans are about the same size and shape of an ellipsoidal but has no lenses. Or rather, the lens is built in to the lamp, which resembles a car headlight. Neither of these two can project gobos.

Hope this helps!

Les, that helps so much!!

I still do not know exactly what types we have though without seeing them personally. I know we have 2 coves filled with spotlights and then lgiths up infront of the stage (which I am hoping are the ellipsoidals) and then lights above the actual stage floor, mostly colored with gels.

I have looked online to see if I can find a picture, and these appear to be like what we have above in front of the stage.
proxy.php

I dont know if these are ellipsoidals but most of the lights in that spot that look like this have gels in them, but some do not.

EDIT: After seeing more pics of ellipsoidals, the lights we have are all "rectangle-box" shaped not rounded like ellipsoidals I am seeing online. Is that the case for lighting fixtures that are 10-15+ years old, or do you think they are not ellipsoidals entirely? Some look JUST like that picture I posted.

Thanks!

Last edited:

That actually is an ellipsoidal. And wouldn't you know? There's a gobo in that picture. :)

Hope this clears it up:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back