GOBO Projection Altman Comet

JLang76

I doubt this would work too well but it's worth asking.

I cant just stick a gobo in the gel boom on my Comet, correct? It would be a homemade pie plate gobo that I only need once. I don't really know much about focal points or any of that, but what I've read says it isn't possible.

You could do that, but you wouldn't like the result. By design, the color boomerang is outside of the focal plane. A gobo needs to be placed near the iris, which is how one gets that sharp circle. It might be possible to fabricate a template holder that fits into the proper location, especially since the entire top of the followspot opens up.

Good Morning JL

Derek is right about the GOBO location. Be aware that the temperature there is HIGH so a " pie tin gobo " won't last long.
I would go with a thicker metal.
Also placing and removing it at show time may be tricky.
Your concept is not wrong, many manufactures have a GOBO SLOT in their lights.

If you are not really confident about your metal working skills, you may want to think twice about modifying the inside of the light.
The focal point range inside the fixture is small and there is a lot going on in there.

8}

Did that once in the 1970's to an Altman 1000Q follow spot. Made a little holder right behind the iris. Since the 1000Q had a flip-top, you would kill the light, slip it in, and then pull the focus back a bit. (even that small a distance makes a big change in focus.)
Oh, did I leave out the part about cursing and screaming as I burnt my fingers? Yea, keep gloves handy.

The Comet uses a 360 Watt FLE lamp, so the heat should not be a problem. Pie tin should work fine.

Good day, JLang76-

Apollo makes .008 inch thick stainless steel gobos for the Altman Comet, as long as you have the appropriate pattern holder for the fixture.
It's an odd size, but we've made them before and would be happy to do so again-

Best wishes,

The Comet uses a 360 Watt FLE lamp, so the heat should not be a problem. Pie tin should work fine.

Good Morning

The Comet I have takes an ENX - 360W 82V lamp.
Is the FLE a longer life lamp?

8-]

Good Morning

The Comet I have takes an ENX - 360W 82V lamp.
Is the FLE a longer life lamp?

8-]
The FLE and ENX are interchangeable and are both rated at 75 hours & 3300K. The difference is the output. The ENX is 460 lumens and the FLE is 1250 lumens. The FLE generally costs about $4 -$5 more than the ENX but you get much more output.

Good Morning Mike

Good to know. I am donating mine to a school this week.
I will be sure to let them know

Thank You

I run FXL's in my Comets. Got them from a university surplus for $10 per box of ten (brand new) since they're ditching their overhead projectors. Bought up 5 or 6 boxes. They are noticeably brighter than the ENX's that came out, but it is difficult to extrapolate whether most of that was due to a cloudy old ENX I was comparing against. A fresh one would probably show less margin.

FXL is still a short-life lamp, clocking in at about 75 hours.

This reminds me, I need to replace a socket in one of those spots...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back