gobos

Leech

Hey how do you make gobos?I think that they are so cool. So i have read how to make them but you dont know how to do anything tell you do it. so I would like to know how to do that.

There have been several posts on this subject Use the search function then ask again if you still have questions.

As has been pointed out search... but the truth is you are far better off just buying gobos. Very few home made gobos are worth using and they probably won't last long either. Unless you've got some sort of precision laser cutting tool in your shop, the $12 price isn't worth the hassle of making your own.

Thanks for the plug Bill, you are too kind.

<they are available for just about any fixture.>

As a matter of fact, we'll make custom or stock steel or glass patterns for any gobo projecting fixture on earth. Bar none.

Thanks again Bill!

Pie plates, markers and your leatherman.
You could cut the plate to size for the fixture you're using it in, or you could just make it fit the slot and use sisalation or gaffer tape to hold it in place.
Done.

Pie plates, markers and your leatherman.
You could cut the plate to size for the fixture you're using it in, or you could just make it fit the slot and use sisalation or gaffer tape to hold it in place.
Done.

Gaffers tape is flammable. Bad idea about a fixture. Beyond that, the glue when baked on tends leave a nasty residue. Not sure what sisalation is but a high temperature aluminum heat vent tape or Gam Tak tape would be a better choice. Otherwise 3M #23 fiberglass electrical tape works well in tapping stuff to hot surfaces without leaving a residue in removing them. I often will use it to tape the top - unsupported edge of a gobo to the frame holder so it doesn't get hung up upon removal.

Just one of your proud dealers doing his job. ;)

Let's be fair to the other Gobo MFR's and Gobo dealears out there... One's job in offering advice - even tongue and cheek, also ends once one signs onto this website.

Lots of dealers for gobos and custom gobos out there. Plugs and stuff like that's fine to some extent.... but not overall fair to the market not represented or professionally spoken for. You can also say get a 24 hour turnaround - call and sending of graphics to delivery of the gobos, of a Rosco custom gobo amongst other suppiers on the market for starts. I'm a big fan of reps from manufacturers and their distributers that take a more neutral stance in while not being silent in who they represent, being fair and providing the knowledge without the sales pitch. Say a plug for their product but overall have something to say about the technology in a more brand neutral way first.

But that's just me who was raised in a college world where by I learned the Rosco gel colors by number in school, thus following that tended to use what I memorized over that of other brands that were not as easy to find the color choice to. It's also me however that would rather keep the end user informed of all potential choices and let them learn some rather than them growing up in my experience of only normally choosing other than say the Rosco gel - as that's all I experienced thus trusted.

To be fair in other suppliers, I'm aware of "Gobo Express", "In-Lite", OptiKinetics, Rosco, Apollo, and GAM making gobos and would not be surprised by lots of others also doing such things given I don't normally buy such stuff. Also that such manufacturers can also make stencils for marking your gear without a problem if you ask. What's best in brand, I don't know - depends upon what you are trying to do. None the less, intent is to be fair in posting advice.

Should it be wished to post a topic of debate about the construction and sales techniques of all the various brands of gobo, I'm sure that any other brand once given the chance to sell their wears also would have equal sounding good pitch to what they sell. Not the intent of this forum for such vendor debates. Instead it's advice in general and not specific product related short of that debate. I hope in the future all suppliers and manufacturers comply with such an intent to keep it fair.

I understand your position, Ship.

The comment was made regarding fixture types, as few of the companies you've mentioned can provide this service.

<As a matter of fact, we'll make custom or stock steel or glass patterns for any gobo projecting fixture on earth. Bar none.>

This fact is important when searching for a manufacturer. Especially when your need is at the last minute-

I'll assume I can relate a recent experience with Apollo.

A customer of mine called at two in the afternoon to inquire about a custom gobo needed for an event the next day. After a few quick phone calls and emails, the custom gobo was created and shipped overnight. That's service above and beyond IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back