The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

God of Carnage vomit effect

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by morganmac, Aug 5, 2015.

1. morganmac

morganmac Member

Theatre program, Reinhardt University
    Hi all,

I'm working on a production of God of Carnage, in which one of the actresses is supposed to vomit onstage. Per the script, it has to happen onstage, front and center and onto a coffee table, so there isn't any way to have the actress go offstage or hide it behind anything (believe me, I have suggested every way possible NOT to have to clean up fake barf every night). Wondering if anyone else has had to rig a similar effect, and if so, what you used for the actual liquid? Most of the information I've found online has been meant for film productions rather than live performance, so there are aspects of their methods that aren't practical for my application.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. SHCP

SHCP Active Member

Technical Director
    I have done pretty convincing stage vomit with just water with pieces of sourdough bread in it. If it is set only a few minutes beforehand, the actor can pretty easily take mouthful and it will not be very unpleasant. I have had actors come in with the bread in thier mouths already, and then just drink a cup of water before spewing, and also slipping the bread into the cup before drinking it. It creates enough volume that it looks nice and chunky onstage, and cleans up easily. It's the splash (with chunks) that sells it, not the color or texture of the liquid.

3. JChenault

JChenault Well-Known Member

My memory of the show is that this is supposed to be projectile vomiting with huge quantities of fluid. When I first saw it I think the actress had a tube ( probably concealed in the sofa ) held in her hand nect to her mouth, and a pump, or bladder ejected. Wonderful ( if slightly creepy ) effect.

The actors spent 10 minutes mopping and cleaning as part of the show.

Rick Wright and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Amiers

Amiers Custom Title of Awesomeness

Look on YouTube. There is a plethora of God of Carnage vomit videos. I think Florida Rep did it the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    SHCP likes this.
  5. SHCP

SHCP Active Member

Technical Director
    That is very cool. I need to do this show now.

6. kiwitechgirl

kiwitechgirl Well-Known Member

We did this show a few years ago (in my previous job). After much experimentation Props used a whoopie cushion (believe it or not!) which was hidden in the actress' costume, with a hose which was quite stiff but still bendable - think Bunsen burner hose - running up underneath the costume to her collar. The two were fastened together with a Jubilee clip. At the appropriate moment she would press down hard on the hidden whoopie cushion and voila! I am pretty sure we used vegetable soup (with chunks of veg in it, not smooth) for the vomit - fairly inoffensive and not too hard to clean up.

dvsDave likes this.
  7. morganmac

morganmac Member

Theatre program, Reinhardt University
    Thanks for all the great ideas! We're combining a few of them to suit our purposes. The director is hellbent on the actress wearing a form-fitting costume which would make hiding the barf bag underneath nearly impossible. So we're hiding it inside a couch pillow that she's been hugging when she starts to feel nauseous. We're using the whoopie cushion and tube (greatest idea ever). We did some barf experiments and the director liked the look of the bread/water mixture the best, which goes through the tubing just fine if we puree it a little. Best of all, it doesn't appear to stain or smell or leave sticky residue, which is great.

It all appears to work in trial mode, anyway. We'll see how it works with actors in the mix. :) Thanks again!

8. jonliles

jonliles Active Member Fight Leukemia

Hello Morganmac! Good to see another local (that's I've actually worked with) on here!

9. TimmyP1955

TimmyP1955 Active Member

Cream of Mushroom Soup.

10. Henning

Henning Member

Performed God of Carnage at the International Thespian Festival 2 years ago. While there are dozens of ways to create the vomit, what you really need is a delivery system. So here is what you need!

1. Some type of couch pillow with a zipper on it.

2. A normal water bottle, the kind you can buy at target in bulk.

3. What ever substance your using for the vomit effect.

First your going to open the pillow and make enough room for your bottle to fit. Fill the bottle with the "vomit" and zip the pillow to where cap of the bottle is flush with the pillow liner.

Now you will need to change a bit of blocking for the effect to work. You want the character to hug the pillow before she pukes ( like one might when they don't feel well) during this time she's going to open the bottle with her mouth ( try leaving the cap half way unscrewed). She's then going to suck in the fake vomit and spit it out on the table.

Also If you don't have a rug under the table; get one! clean up can be a pain for this effect!

11. Rick Wright

Rick Wright New Member

I like the self contained approach. Hide the vomit in the pillow and squeeze on demand.

12. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

We just did that about 3 shows ago; I'll get you details.

By me, the real trick is the actress not telegraphing it's coming; ours did an excellent job.