Goin' Thru Midi life Crisis

drgibson

Hello, my name is Don and I am goin' thru a midi life crisis.

Before I continue our current lighting setup is (now keep in mind we have limited funds)

Leprecon LP-1536 which is a 36 channel board
2 ETC 12 channel SmartPack dimmers
10 very old 500 watt Ellipsoidal lights that are hung too close to the stage
4 Par 64 Cans used for accent lighting on the stage
Incandescent House Lights

Here is what I’m wanting to know/understand. We use a program called Media Shout for all of our presentations. All of our DVD, sound, lyric, and other presentation cues. We recently purchased a new sound card for the PC, the new card has a Midi interface.

Now if I understand I the manual for our light board properly I can control the light board using midi protocol. I also believe that there are programs that will do the sequencing.
He is where I am trying to go with this; our presentation software will play midi files as cues. It would be great if I could have midi files that I could insert into the program as cues so that when we want to change the lighting we can do it through the same software we are already using. The problem is I have no understanding of hot to create such files or if it can even be done.

Your expertise will be much appreciated.

It can be done, but I don't know if the leprecon will do it. You need to figure out what the leprocon responds to, Midi Show Control or actually midi notes. I have used media shout in the past, though I have never linked it to anything. First, some reading material, Control Systems for Live Entertainment by John Hunnington is a great place to start for anything midi related.

Heres the setup you will probably need to do, this is concept only. Have media shout produce a note with any cue you want to fire a light cue. The board will be set up to press go on that note fire and go. You could go more complicated and have different notes for each cue number, but you might get over you head. This will run in a "time line" fashion with no back button unless you physically hit it on the lighting console. This can be a fun project to do, but you do lost some control and add more lead time to the whole process of producing the show..

First, some reading material, Control Systems for Live Entertainment by John Hunnington is a great place to start for anything midi related.

Get this book as standard reading, it will help you in so many ways. The third edition just came out and availible on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Leprecon can be controled by midi, and I know that Media Shout will play midi files. I guess the real question is there a way to create the midi files with the control codes so I can just play them back as needed.

This is probably more of a programing question then lighting....

I know the Leprecon can be controled by midi, and I know that Media Shout will play midi files. I guess the real question is there a way to create the midi files with the control codes so I can just play them back as needed.
This is probably more of a programing question then lighting....

Also, the fact that you are going have to set up the midi file, not note, to play is going to add a bit of complexity. If you could get mediashout to easily fire a note, that would be one thing, but your going to add another step which is going to make it a bit more difficult.

That doesn't concern me too much since I can attach the file to an exsisting cue or just insert a new one.
Where I may be in trouble as far as using Media Shout is will it actually sent the file through the midi interface or just through audio out... :shock:

:evil:Crap this may be the fatal flaw in my grand scheme. *sigh* so much for taking over the world.

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: Um... I think so, Brain, but what if the chicken won't wear the nylons?

My chicken ain't a gonna wear no nylons.:rolleyes:

Can I just say this is truly one of the best thread titles I've ever seen? I've got no advice for you at all, just had to make that comment.
Does the control program, and your board, have SMPT code? That might be easier than programming the midi triggers.

Can I just say this is truly one of the best thread titles I've ever seen? I've got no advice for you at all, just had to make that comment.
Does the control program, and your board, have SMPT code? That might be easier than programming the midi triggers.

I have my moments... and most of the member at our church hope and pray that I don't have one of those moments up in the booth, during our service... I've been known to share:twisted:

Follow up, I went and read what the link is talking about and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for finding that Footer. :cool:

Now what other trouble can I stir up...

Nice sharing regarding the installation of Midi software and other technical issues. I want to pay compliments for all participants of this forum who come to discuss others problems very devotedly.

MIDI Lighting Control

Hi,
I'd like to kick in here. I've been trying to find anyone who has experience with using MIDI to control lighting for some time. Of course it never occurred to me to ask Footer... I've been trying to figure this issue out for years. (I made note of the literature, thanks)
Now my understanding is that MIDI limits you to 100 channels, which means that I would have to use a dual system and separate the specials using MIDI from the other cues which would use DMX. Forgetting about the details of programing MIDI commands, can MIDI & DMX work in sycopation within the same board/operating system? (ie: can some of the cues be implemented by MIDI and others by DMX?) I guess it's specific to the board and some of the dimmers would need to MIDI while others were DMX, but I have to try to determine what system(s) to use. I also need to learn how to program MIDI/DMX to respond to a particular note, on a particular instrument, at a particular volume. Any imput in this regard would be most helpful and welcomed. AG

Re: MIDI Lighting Control

Hi,
I'd like to kick in here. I've been trying to find anyone who has experience with using MIDI to control lighting for some time. Of course it never occurred to me to ask Footer... I've been trying to figure this issue out for years. (I made note of the literature, thanks)
Now my understanding is that MIDI limits you to 100 channels, which means that I would have to use a dual system and separate the specials using MIDI from the other cues which would use DMX. Forgetting about the details of programing MIDI commands, can MIDI & DMX work in sycopation within the same board/operating system? (ie: can some of the cues be implemented by MIDI and others by DMX?) I guess it's specific to the board and some of the dimmers would need to MIDI while others were DMX, but I have to try to determine what system(s) to use. I also need to learn how to program MIDI/DMX to respond to a particular note, on a particular instrument, at a particular volume. Any imput in this regard would be most helpful and welcomed. AG
I think you may have one thing confused, MIDI and DMX are not interchangeable protocols. MIDI cannot run a lighting cue like DMX, it can't give levels to dimmers or devices. MIDI is used as a protocol for controlling devices that fire cues. On the flip side DMX doesn't fire cues, it is a protocol that carries the cue information to the dimmers or devices.

MIDI can be used to fire cues on a lighting console. Most newer memory consoles have MIDI built in, or it can be added as an option. When you have a MIDI control system set up it is possible to have MIDI fire some cues and have an operator push the GO button for others.

Getting a console to respond to MIDI is not particularly hard, you just need to know what commands the console wants to see. As show control is a pretty big thing these days many consoles look for MSC (MIDI Show Control Commands), and many look for SYSEX (system exclusive) commands. This allows certain devices to only respond to certain commands. There are now special MIDI commands for lighting, sound, pyro, etc. It may be that you can't get your lighting console to respond to simple note-on/note-off commands.

I could go into more detail and personal experience, but I think that overview is enough for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back