Good Commercial Wireless Cameras

Morte615

I am looking to add a bunch of wireless cameras to my space. I already have an IP based system but there are some locations that I would like coverage that either don't have wire, is too difficult to run, or will only be there temporary (like a few days) so don't want to run wire.

These would be for non-critical areas so if we lose them on occasion I'm ok with that. I am used to IP based systems but Wireless in the commercial world I have no clue where they are at. And of course the kicker, I have wireless but no internet. So the system has to be able to run local.

Ultimately I am looking for something that can interface with my already existing network system, without needing to download special apps to view them. And that will also work with standard Network Video Recorders. Best option would be something where I just need to by the camera's and maybe a separate recorder, but I'm ok with going through a separate hub if I have too.

And I am looking for about 32 cameras total with about $6,000 budget. I doubt if I can get good cameras for that so feel free to suggest more expensive cameras, I may be able to up the budget some.

I am also looking for recommendations for recorders that will do local streaming to a phone app. Not looking for internet based, just something where I can put the phones on the same network and get the cameras.

Thanks everyone!

This is for security, right?

This is for IP based wireless (I've not messed with non-IP cameras):

32 2MP wireless cameras * 8mbps each = 256mbps total.
That's quite a bit for wireless. Most wireless cameras are probably 802.11n, which are (usually, for cheaper low end devices) a max of 150mbps per channel, and that's a theoretical speed. More likely looking at a total of 75mbps per channel, though it might end up better or worse than that depending on factors like signal strength. So you'd need about 4 channels of wireless, which is possible to do on 2.4GHz, but only if the wireless APs are far enough apart. You may need anywhere from 4-8 APs to support the 32 cameras, depending on how big your facility is. A Ubiquiti UAP is about $60. $60 * 6 APs = $360, excluding the cost of running cables to the APs, and assuming you have room on your switch.

This is all assuming you don't have much interference, and that you're using cheaper wireless cameras <$200, that are 2 megapixels and you use an average of 8mbps per camera. With more expensive cameras that support 5GHz or 802.11ac it would make wireless easier, but not necessarily any cheaper.

I would really suggest running cable to all the cameras that you can. You have to run power to them anyway. Otherwise you'll still need some cable runs for the wireless access points.

Bubby makes an excellent point on the transport side.

On the quality side, you may have to audition cameras; they vary pretty widely. Higher resolution cameras, 720p or 1080p (1 or 2MP) have the advantage that, being more expensive, they tend to have higher video quality just from halo effect, in addition to not being NTSC, which helps a lot.

A lot depends on the environment too; cameras for areas where sunlight comes in at times have to have a *lot* better fast AGC than cameras for completely interior areas.

Finally, firmware varies widely in how easy it is to interface with a given DVR; some are a walkon, some are easy *once you figure out the right URL* -- often undocumented, and some are just a PITA.

Do you have a recorder already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back